Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to hard wire my house for cat5e or cat6 for the first time. I have been looking around online trying to learn more about this. I have a general plan that I would like to achieve, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask for advice before I start. Like anyone I would prefer not to waste money! I am needing to buy the tools, wire, ends, wall sockets, and a switch. I am thinking I should run extra wires to each room for unexpected future devices.
Should I bite the bullet and get cat6 for future proof speed and compatibility? Can anyone suggest buying materials from suggested sellers?
thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
I can't answer all your questions, but look no further than PI manufacturing for wiring your house pimfg.com

Dang good prices on most stuff and they have a TON of "structured wiring" stuff like the wall plates and connectors for them

I would highly recommend these punch down ends

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/KYE-6A-RT-GY

rather than the stupid crimp on ones, since you would then have to buy a plate mount coupler anyways. They have the wall plates that they snap into also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird View Post

I can't answer all your questions, but look no further than PI manufacturing for wiring your house pimfg.com

Dang good prices on most stuff and they have a TON of "structured wiring" stuff like the wall plates and connectors for them

I would highly recommend these punch down ends

http://www.pimfg.com/Product-Detail/KYE-6A-RT-GY

rather than the stupid crimp on ones, since you would then have to buy a plate mount coupler anyways. Very nice, I have not heard of that company They have the wall plates that they snap into also.
Very nice!, I have no heard that company, much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,558 Posts
Unless you are running the cables up 2 or 3 stories unsupported or in dirt to a different building you don't really need to worry about plenum cable

I personally wouldn't run anything less than cat6 or 2 cat5e cables to each room in a house with higher bandwidth things on the horizon like access to gigabit and over internet services

For in the wall runs always use solid solid cable shielded or double shielded cable if you can afford it
Run them to a wire closet or where ever you network gear is and use keystone punch down jacks in the rooms and use a patch panel that supports 2-4 cables per room so you can use it for other types of data/video cables like rg6 or a third cat5e for an rj11 jack or 2

Use low voltage gang box adapters, you can find them for a couple bucks each and use really long drill bit like something like an one inch wide auger bit so you can fid not just your current runs through but a few future runs, i use a 12" long 1/8" bit to locate the hole from the top side so i don't drill up through the floor if the gang box will be higer than 12 inch get a bit extension and use a right angle drill they are cheap enough to rent if you don't want to buy one

That right angle drill will make auging up through the hole much easier and less messy if you are working from a crawl space

Get a bunch of those spring loaded toggle bolt anchors make sure they are magnetic and tie a string to each of them and go back to the top side and use a magnet to pull them up and use the string to plug you cable honestly i would use some kind of nylon that can take a good tugging before it breaks and make a tape cone at the tip of the wire you are pulling only pull one at a time and pull extra string with it so you don't have to fish most string through if you need to run more cables later just leave it with the toggle bolts in the opening

The rest is just punching down the terminations

If you plan on running the cables in an actic you'll have to do pumpkin cuts at the ceiling amd sometimes in the middle for the cripple/stud braces and the right angle drill bit is super handy for that so you don't have to patch huge holes in the wall

The right angle adapters are pretty much all junk so don't waste your time with them
And of you don't want to buy an auger bit you might be able to use a 1" spade bit, but the usually don't have a long enough shaft to get past joists or raftersand using them with an extension is not really that easy with how you need to rock them back and forth to cut through.

And if you are worried about cable strain install the low voltage gang box neat a stud and pull up a bit of extra cable and make a loop and use a screw down cable clamp/clip on each side making sure you leave enough cable for you to pull out the cover plate with the cables terminations attached

Oh and if you need the the sill plate to be part of a firewall use a drill near the size of the cable and pull fire resistant caulking around the top and bottom so you might want a buddy to help you runthe cables nothing a case of beer and some food won't buy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,821 Posts
The 2610 is a fantastic switch, but it's only 10/100. Consider, for the same price, an HP 2810. It is a 24 port gigabit switch and can be had for the same price
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

The 2610 is a fantastic switch, but it's only 10/100. Consider, for the same price, an HP 2810. It is a 24 port gigabit switch and can be had for the same price
Gasp! You scared me there for a moment! lol The switch I ordered is a HP 2810.
biggrin.gif
thumb.gif


thanks
 

·
Missing friends
Joined
·
15,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7269 View Post

Hello, I am looking to hard wire my house for cat5e or cat6 for the first time. I have been looking around online trying to learn more about this. I have a general plan that I would like to achieve, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask for advice before I start. Like anyone I would prefer not to waste money! I am needing to buy the tools, wire, ends, wall sockets, and a switch. I am thinking I should run extra wires to each room for unexpected future devices.
Should I bite the bullet and get cat6 for future proof speed and compatibility? Can anyone suggest buying materials from suggested sellers?
thanks!
It seems most have been covered, that said. Be very very careful cheap cable (ie cheaper then monoprice by roughly half) what apt of companies are now doing is using CCA. (Cooper clad aluminum) to cheapen the cable, rated cat 6 cat 5e or higher is pure cooper

Adlai to note on plenum rating, in residential it is only needed if you run through your duct
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

It seems most have been covered, that said. Be very very careful cheap cable (ie cheaper then monoprice by roughly half) what apt of companies are now doing is using CCA. (Cooper clad aluminum) to cheapen the cable, rated cat 6 cat 5e or higher is pure cooper

Adlai to note on plenum rating, in residential it is only needed if you run through your duct
Thanks for the heads up, I ordered my wire and other stuff from mono price. In the past I have not had any issues with their products, I hope that doesn't change!
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

DERP. I had the dumb. That's a 2810. 2810 is one of the best switches HP ever made
Ahh, good news then! Thanks for the advice on the switch....I saw you recommend it on another thread that made me search for it!
thumb.gif
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top