Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've done two HTPC builds in Antec Minuets. They are fairly nice if you have the right CPU cooler and case fans. I used an A8 and an A10 with Scythe Big Shurikens. I also swapped out the Antec 80mm fan with a Noctua 80mm fan. It is very quiet and cool.

I like how it works equally well upright or on it's side. I did set up the system so the case fan and PSU exhaust out the top, so that helps cool things a bit.

It is a pain to work in the tight spaces, and the cable routing is particularly obnoxious. It's hard to fit the cables in neatly. You can do it, but you really need to think everything out before you put in the parts. For example, I needed to flip the HDD and had to remove the DVD drive in order to do that.

For that price, it's a great case. At full price I might opt for a Silverstone next time, but you learn as you go I suppose.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got the case. It's deceivingly heavy. Now I just need to decide between an ivy bridge Celeron + cheap card, or an apu.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
476 Posts
Because of the limitation regarding low profile GPUs, I would get an A10 APU and pair it with a 6670. If you can find a better low profile card, like a 6870, then I would go with that GPU and a Celeron.

Of course, you can get cheaper APUs and skip the graphics card, especially if you don't plan on doing a lot of gaming.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droviin View Post

Because of the limitation regarding low profile GPUs, I would get an A10 APU and pair it with a 6670. If you can find a better low profile card, like a 6870, then I would go with that GPU and a Celeron.

Of course, you can get cheaper APUs and skip the graphics card, especially if you don't plan on doing a lot of gaming.
The A10 is a waste of money. This is just an htpc. I think I'm going to go with an Ivy Bridge Celeron and something like a low profile 6570. The gpu only needs to be able to handle 1080p video, which the 6570 is more than capable of doing. This setup will be much lower power draw than an apu setup.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm actually doing this for my mom now. She's still stuck on an old single core athlon 3800+. I just upgraded my grandmother from a 939 athlon to a SB Celeron, and it is very impressive.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droogie View Post

The A10 is a waste of money. This is just an htpc. I think I'm going to go with an Ivy Bridge Celeron and something like a low profile 6570. The gpu only needs to be able to handle 1080p video, which the 6570 is more than capable of doing. This setup will be much lower power draw than an apu setup.
What about an A4 then? Given that this is for your Mom, and that you've already got a full case the A4 would be perfect. Try this build.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

What about an A4 then? Given that this is for your Mom, and that you've already got a full case the A4 would be perfect. Try this build.
Isn't the cpu portion of the a4 severely anemic?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

I think the A4-5300 is a pretty good CPU compared to the Celeron G1620.
Eh, the Celeron is better all around except for the onboard graphics. Faster clock speed and much faster clock for clock, better multi core performance, runs a lot cooler and draws almost no power.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Quote:

The A10 is a waste of money. This is just an htpc. I think I'm going to go with an Ivy Bridge Celeron and something like a low profile 6570.
That adds up to the price of an A10 in Spain
eek.gif

And the A10 severely crushes it in every single aspect, from raw performance to power consumption.

I'd go A6-5400K. About 30% more GPU performance than the A4 parts, with slightly better CPU performance, and you can overclock it (K part). At 76$.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Quote:

The A10 is a waste of money. This is just an htpc. I think I'm going to go with an Ivy Bridge Celeron and something like a low profile 6570.
That adds up to the price of an A10 in Spain
eek.gif

And the A10 severely crushes it in every single aspect, from raw performance to power consumption.

I'd go A6-5400K. About 30% more GPU performance than the A4 parts, with slightly better CPU performance, and you can overclock it (K part). At 76$.
I can get a Celeron g1610 and 6570 for about $70 total. The CPU only costs $35 locally or $40 online. I have a 6570 now that I bought off of Craigslist for $35. I also got a 5450 for free which I'll probably end up using for it.

Don't need to OC an htpc
tongue.gif

Trinity is out. The FM2 motherboards are too expensive for USB and sata3 (I'm using an ssd boot drive and external HDD for storage in this).

Pretty much made up my mind on the CPU. It's the much cheaper option.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts