Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if anyone has owned the Yamakasi Catleap and a Dell U2410. I want to know the quality difference between the two. I currently own a Catleap but I might buy a Dell U2410 myself.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSushi2 View Post

So I was wondering if anyone has owned the Yamakasi Catleap and a Dell U2410. I want to know the quality difference between the two. I currently own a Catleap but I might buy a Dell U2410 myself.
Do you need wide-colour gamut support for some reason? If not, the Dell U2410 is not a good option for you.

That aside, I am running a "2B" Catleap next to my U2312hm. What can I say about the difference between the two...

The U2312hm is much, much higher quality than the Catleap. The frame is solid, the OSD is nice, the multi input is useful, the USB hub comes in handy and the stand works for whatever I need it for. When I do switch from monitor to monitor, the antiglare bothers me on the U2312hm for about 2 seconds before my mind blocks it out. The Dell was slightly higher colour temperatures (ie, it had a slightly blue tint). Little backlight bleed.

The Catleap has a crappy stand (replaced with an Ergotron arm monut), its tempered glass facing fell off after 8 months (which I proceeded to manually remount) and if it didn't have the tempered glass, the plastic bezel and all would look cheap and flimsy. It had a significantly lower colour termperature (significant yellowing of whites). Slightly more backlight bleed than the U2312hm.

I had to calibrate both screens to get them to my satisfaction - but the U2312hm was much easier to get to a satisfactory point.

Overall, I can say that the U2312hm is a much higher quality monitor than the Catleap. That being said, I have a very nice panel and electronics sitting in my Catleap and would give away the U2312hm before the Catleap.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Do you need wide-colour gamut support for some reason? If not, the Dell U2410 is not a good option for you.

That aside, I am running a "2B" Catleap next to my U2312hm. What can I say about the difference between the two...

The U2312hm is much, much higher quality than the Catleap. The frame is solid, the OSD is nice, the multi input is useful, the USB hub comes in handy and the stand works for whatever I need it for. When I do switch from monitor to monitor, the antiglare bothers me on the U2312hm for about 2 seconds before my mind blocks it out. The Dell was slightly higher colour temperatures (ie, it had a slightly blue tint). Little backlight bleed.

The Catleap has a crappy stand (replaced with an Ergotron arm monut), its tempered glass facing fell off after 8 months (which I proceeded to manually remount) and if it didn't have the tempered glass, the plastic bezel and all would look cheap and flimsy. It had a significantly lower colour termperature (significant yellowing of whites). Slightly more backlight bleed than the U2312hm.

I had to calibrate both screens to get them to my satisfaction - but the U2312hm was much easier to get to a satisfactory point.

Overall, I can say that the U2312hm is a much higher quality monitor than the Catleap. That being said, I have a very nice panel and electronics sitting in my Catleap and would give away the U2312hm before the Catleap.
So you liked the U2410 better but would keep the Catleap? I want the U2410 for the color gourmet it provides. I'm all about that 1920x1200 and 1.06 billion colors. I find 2560x1440p just too damn big for almost every application I use. All my game will support the resolution but all the text is small as hell. Steam text is small and after editing the files it still doesn't look right. Certain games don't play right and windows DPI is interfered by D3 and other such games. To me 2560 res is pointless.

I have the Q270 btw. I was going to tri-monitor these but I might sell my two and buy 3 U2410 instead. Plus only DVI sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextar View Post

I actually just ordered a Shimian and I have both a U2410 and a 2407WFP that I'll be able to compare it to when I get it this week, I can keep you in the loop!
Thanks bro! I look forward to hearing your assessment.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Quote:

So you liked the U2410 better but would keep the Catleap? I want the U2410 for the color gourmet it provides. I'm all about that 1920x1200 and 1.06 billion colors. I find 2560x1440p just too damn big for almost every application I use. All my game will support the resolution but all the text is small as hell. Steam text is small and after editing the files it still doesn't look right. Certain games don't play right and windows DPI is interfered by D3 and other such games. To me 2560 res is pointless.
Be careful what you wish for. 10 bit colour isn't the same thing as an extended colour gamut; one of which is probably unnoticeable to you, and the other which is probably harmful to you. I don't have a U2410, I only have a U2312hm (and U2311h). I'd've sprung for a U2412m had they been out at the time.

The U2410 is a wide-gamut monitor - ie, it extends beyond the sRGB gamut that 99%+ of the people on the internet will use (or should use). 100% of consumer media (games, photos, videos) is rendered in sRGB space. The only reason you would want it is if you work with photo proofs and raw photo data, and you have ALL of the following - wide gamut camera, wide gamut printer, professional calibration software suite, professional photo editing software capable of working in colour managed environments and a professional video card (quadro or firepro). If you are missing one of those parts, then the wide gamut nature of the monitor is worthless to you. Wide gamut will either make everything look wrong, or you'll be forced to use the sRGB emulation which strips out the wide gamut nature but sacrifices some contrast on an already mediocre contrast monitor.

10 bit colour is not something you'll notice. The U2410 isn't a true 10 bit monitor. It's an 8 bit + 2bit FRC monitor. Meaning that it can only display ~16.7m colours that all true 8 bit monitors can display (such as your catleap). However, the 1.07b colours can be simulated using the fancy algorithms

If you still need the U2410 for your purposes, make sure you get a colorimeter!

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

I have the Q270 btw. I was going to tri-monitor these but I might sell my two and buy 3 U2410 instead. Plus only DVI sucks.
Thanks bro! I look forward to hearing your assessment.
Just about all modern games will scale their UI, like Borderlands, Torchlight, etc. Many older games that don't I run at half resolution if reading text is very important.

Also, why exactly do you want a wide gamut screen? Are you doing professional graphics work? Because I have a wide gamut Dell 30" Ultrasharp and my Catleap, I am using the Catleap and letting my landlady use the Dell.

Read this:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/25060360

·
Prince of all Saiyans
4,196 Posts
I have an ultrasharp and a catleap, the colors and brightness is far more crisp on the catleap. There is a AG film under the ultrasharp -which can be removed. But still messes with the clarity of whites. IMO, the catleaps are closer to a retina display in quality and color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts