Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing a full build at some point in the future. I'm not a tech wizard but this site has given me the water cooling and overclocking bug. I will be using this rig for gaming and folding.

Main things in my build

Quad sli or crossfire
worth waiting for haswells pci express boost?

6-8 core Intel CPU
Currently have an i970 looking for a noticeable performance boost.

DDR3 vs DDR4
Pretty much speculation will DDR4 even be noticeable?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillman View Post

I'm going to be doing a full build at some point in the future. I'm not a tech wizard but this site has given me the water cooling and overclocking bug. I will be using this rig for gaming and folding.

Main things in my build

Quad sli or crossfire
worth waiting for haswells pci express boost?

6-8 core Intel CPU
Currently have an i970 looking for a noticeable performance boost.

DDR3 vs DDR4
Pretty much speculation will DDR4 even be noticeable?
It's worth the wait because you have an i7 970, that's a 32NM six core, SB-E and IB-E isn't insanely faster, you're going to need 8 Intel cores. Also, unless you're running a crazy resolution, quad GPUs isn't worth it. The 970 is no slouch, you'd need a fast Intel 8 core to notice the upgrade. DDR4 starts (I believe) at 2133, not worth the launch prices that will inevitably be high unless you don't have fast DDR3 like 2000+ MHz. So it's totally up to you if the performance increase will be worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

It's worth the wait because you have an i7 970, that's a 32NM six core, SB-E and IB-E isn't insanely faster, you're going to need 8 Intel cores. Also, unless you're running a crazy resolution, quad GPUs isn't worth it. The 970 is no slouch, you'd need a fast Intel 8 core to notice the upgrade. DDR4 starts (I believe) at 2133, not worth the launch prices that will inevitably be high unless you don't have fast DDR3 like 2000+ MHz. So it's totally up to you if the performance increase will be worth it.
Thanks for the input. I wanted the quad graphics setup for folding more then gaming as I'd like to join a folding team. I think I'll do my best to wait until the x99 chipset and haswell-e

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
Haswell-E is a long way off, Q4 2014 at the earliest - there's no definite plan for DDR4 on Haswell though, even Haswell-E. You might need to wait for Broadwell before you can get some DDR4 action.

If you want to upgrade, do it with IB-E and enjoy it. Haswell-E is only going to be 10-12% faster than IB-E with the same number of cores. You can get a 8 core X79 platform right now if you don't mine paying for a $2000+ E5-2687W Xeon. =)

Greg

·
Senior OCN Member
40,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillman View Post

Thanks for the input. I wanted the quad graphics setup for folding more then gaming as I'd like to join a folding team. I think I'll do my best to wait until the x99 chipset and haswell-e
Then you have to wait another year

The roadmaps i have seen say Q4 2014 for Haswell-E

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It may be a tough wait but I'm sure I can find other things to do in between now and then I just got a 900d case last night. I hope to get it custom powder coated and ready for that q4 2014 date if you can trust intel to be on time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts