Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm starting to worry about my new build and the Ram I have installed.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit edition.

I have 2 sticks of 2 gig ram in my PC. I know they are in the correct slots as I have checked my MB manual and all. Also, it's pretty hard to put them in the wrong place to start with lol.

Anyway I just installed the new Just Cause 2 demo on Steam. As you know it has a benchmark. The Benchmark ran fine but on the bottom where it tells your system specs it is only showing 2 gigs. 3Dmark06 only reports 2 gigs, and Windows itself (if you right click my computer and chose properties) only shows 2 gigs.

The only program that shows 4 gigs available is CPUz.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Is the BIOS reporting 4 gb?

Also, click start, type msconfig, go to the "boot" tab, and "advanced" on the OS you're using, and make sure the "max memory" box isn't ticked

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I check that? Go into my bios or just watch the screens as it boots up?

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Most likely you have 4GB being recognized but 2GB usable.

Possible fixes:
  • Increase VTT a little.
  • If your CPU HSF is on really tight, loosen it a bit. The IMC is located on the CPU and thus might be causing one of the channels to become unrecognizable.
  • Test each stick using Memtest and also test each DIMM slot.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a screen show to show you guys what I'm talking about...

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Check MSCONFIG and make sure all 4096MB of RAM is available or the "memory amount" checkbox is unchecked.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MSCONFIG only shows 2 gigs as well. The memory amount box was unchecked

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok update. I checked and my BIOS is only showing 2 gigs as well. WTH is going on

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexa
View Post

Ok update. I checked and my BIOS is only showing 2 gigs as well. WTH is going on

Try reseating your RAM. If that doesn't work, clear your CMOS (google or search OCN on how to do that - it's fairly basic and you will probably need to do this once or twice when doing things such as overclocking; in case you don't know how).
You could also try placing your RAM in different slots. A DIMM slot may be malfunctional.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I resat my ram and the BIOS is still only showing 2 gigs. I then tried changing the ram into the other 2 slots. When I did that the PC would not boot up at all. My screen just stayed black. I am so lost right now.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I resat my ram and the BIOS is still only showing 2 gigs. I then tried changing the ram into the other 2 slots. When I did that the PC would not boot up at all. My screen just stayed black. I am so lost right now.

Motherboard issues? :| oh jeez

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could reseting my bios actually fix this some how?

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Could reseting my bios actually fix this some how?

Yes.

Also it sounds like you have a bad stick of ram, not a big deal just RMA.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I meant to say resetting my CMOS.

What's weird is after restart it said I had 4gigs but only 2 gigs available under my system info. I then did the msconfig thing and changed max memory to 4gigs. It prompted me to restart so I did that.

After the PC booted back up it was back to saying 2gigs period.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok guys, please help me here.

I tried each stick of ram out individually. The PC boots up fine no problem at all if I only use 1 stick at a time. So I know that the ram is not bad. If I put both sticks in it will boot up but only recognize 2 gigs.

Please GOD tell me it's not the MB. It was hard putting this crap together I really don't want to have to RMA the MB.

Also if there is any setting in the BIOS that could be doing this please share. I don't have much experience with the BIOS though. Honestly when BIOS loads up I always just press f10 to load optimized defaults and use that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts