Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have an NMB ballbearing fan with noisy bearings, and dont wanna replace it, you can repack the bearings with new grease by doing these simple steps:
EDIT:
NOW WITH PICS, and a few more in depth steps.

1. Peel back label on back of motor

2. VERY VERY carefully remove the plastic snap ring inside of the fan, be careful and cover it with your thumb coz they LOVE to fly!

3. store it in a VERY safe place so it dosnt get lost.

4. remove fan blade assembly from fan frame

5. remove bearings from fan's frame

6. look at the bearings, make sure they are relubeable(unsealed ball bearings) if unsealed, continue to step 6. if sealed, find a DEAD fan with good bearings and simply replace the ball bearings.

7. if it doesnt have sealed bearings, some dont, you can take the ball bearings out and soak them in rubbing alcohol(91 percent kind) to remove the old, spent grease.

8. dry them compleately to not let them rust from the small amount of water in the rubbing alcohol.

9. find some lightweight grease(even vaseline works) and re pack the freshly cleaned bearings with brand new grease, be sure the whole bearing is fully packed with new grease, or itll still make noise.

10. reassemble the fan and test. if it makes noise still, either the bearings are shot, or they arent packed enough. if they arent packed enough, pack some more light weight grease into them, and reassemble again.

11. your fan is now refurbished and ready for work again! Ive done it to a few NMB fans. it works great if done properly! I hope I help some people with noisy fans, happy refurbishing of fans!

EDIT: Pics for disassembly:

1. / Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

/ Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

2. / Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

/

5. [/ Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes lithium grease would also work also coz its the same consistency and viscosity of vaseline. Vaseline is all i had laying around when I did the refurb. And it worked great!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ehume
View Post

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to reference you in my fan lube thread.

What about lithium grease?

BTW, thanks man, im glad you think its a good idea!

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;13075337
High Temp Lithium or Silicon Brake Grease/Lube (the type used for brake caliper slides) is excellent for this purpose as well as for sleeve bearing fans.

I remember using Vaseline to pack bicycle, roller skate, and skate board bearings back when I was a kid in the 60's. Nice to see that people are still using it today.
yes I use a lithium-based assembly lube called Luberiplate 150(i think) for assembling engines, and most engine builders use this kind of assembly lube for building their engines. Comp cams has a special lithium based grease that they pack with their cams, and if you dont use it, it voids the Comp Cams warranty. But this lube is too light for ball bearings, it has to be more of a grease like stuff, the Luberiplate is lighter more like a very light grease/oil combination, its designed to mix into the oil and become oil on the first fire of an engine. Even airplane engine overhaulers use this stuff. Thats where I got my tube of it, from my old work where I used to work on airplane engines.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;13076590
Before actual assembly lube like Lubriplate 105 we used STP.

CRC's Sta Lube SL33011 is my Caliper Grease/Lube of choice. SL3301 is my second choice.
Caliper grease would work great in fan ballbearings too. I wouldnt use grease on sleeve bearings because its to thick, but on ballbearings, its awesome. And axle grease as well. So before Lubriplate 105 existed,you used STP? STP what?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume;13076658
"It's the racer's edge."
The racer's edge? id like some more info on this stuff! Could I please get some?

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
It's Scientifically Treated Petroleum. It was very popular before all of the little 4 cyl econo boxes took over. It helped extend the life of regular motor oil and helped keep the viscosity level from dropping from one oil change to the next. It's basically outdated technology now, but in the 50's thru the 80's it was THE additive of choice.

Google is your friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_%28motor_oil_company%29

And Caliper Lube isn't nearly as thick as wheel bearing grease. In fact, it's ideal for sleeve bearings in fans. The only catch is you can't just put a few drops in the opening and allow it to seep down like you can the other lubes in ehumes guide. You have to pull the bub off, remove the i-rings, slide the sleeve off of the shaft, apply the new lube, replace the shaft and o-rings, apply more lube to the outside of the sleeve, then finish assembling the fan. That takes more time, but it lasts a LOT longer than just dropping some oil into the opening. You will probably lose about 100 rpms or so until the fan has run for a couple of weeks, but otherwise it works great.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;13076827
It's Scientifically Treated Petroleum. It was very popular before all of the little 4 cyl econo boxes took over. It helped extend the life of regular motor oil and helped keep the viscosity level from dropping from one oil change to the next. It's basically outdated technology now, but in the 50's thru the 80's it was THE additive of choice.

Google is your friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_%28motor_oil_company%29

And Caliper Lube isn't nearly as thick as wheel bearing grease. In fact, it's ideal for sleeve bearings in fans. The only catch is you can't just put a few drops in the opening and allow it to seep down like you can the other lubes in ehumes guide. You have to pull the bub off, remove the i-rings, slide the sleeve off of the shaft, apply the new lube, replace the shaft and o-rings, apply more lube to the outside of the sleeve, then finish assembling the fan. That takes more time, but it lasts a LOT longer than just dropping some oil into the opening. You will probably lose about 100 rpms or so until the fan has run for a couple of weeks, but otherwise it works great.
have you by chance heard of Liquid Ring oil additive? Its SUPER amazing, if you put it in, and then run your engine, you can HEAR the engine noises just DISAPPEAR within 20 minutes. Its simply AMAZING.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
Like 99% of oil additives it's nothing but snake oil. Check the label to see if it has PTFE in it. If it does, it doesn't really do anything for you. The ONLY oil additives that actually work well are Lucas and Rislone. Lucas for everyday use, and Rislone to clean your oil passages gently without harming anything.

All stuff like Liquid Ring, Motor Honey, STP, etc. do to quiet engines is increase the viscosity (re: make the oil thicker) to cushion the metal better. It robs horsepower and lowers gas mileage, and in many cases causes the engines to wear out faster.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf;13077031
Like 99% of oil additives it's nothing but snake oil. Check the label to see if it has PTFE in it. If it does, it doesn't really do anything for you. The ONLY oil additives that actually work well are Lucas and Rislone. Lucas for everyday use, and Rislone to clean your oil passages gently without harming anything.

All stuff like Liquid Ring, Motor Honey, STP, etc. do to quiet engines is increase the viscosity (re: make the oil thicker) to cushion the metal better. It robs horsepower and lowers gas mileage, and in many cases causes the engines to wear out faster.
Liquid Ring dosnt do the performance lag/fuel mileage lag because of how insanely slippery it is. It also dosnt cause premature wear, because it coats metal parts and pretty much causes a never dry start position.

·
Premium Member
8,775 Posts
And those are the exact same false claims all of the other's have made and have proven to have been lies. There was a court case in 1994 that have prevented all of these products from making those claims any longer since they were all proven false. I would need to see a link to the actual product on the manufacturer's site to know 100% for certain, but I am 99.999999% sure I am right about it. Just look to see if it lists PTFE as one of the ingredients. If it does, it's Snake Oil.

But this is taking this thread off topic as it's highly doubtful that it's suitable for this purpose.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I use this for my skate's bearings. It should be great for fans, don't you think so?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007;13482251
I use this for my skate's bearings. It should be great for fans, don't you think so?
Oh yeah, that stuff would be AMAZING on fan ball bearings. Specially coz it has teflon in it. That stuff GLIDES real smoothly. Almost no friction between balls and races.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I think a video tutorial on how to oil the bearings would be welcomed. Haven't found any
frown.gif

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloppy007;13499311
I think a video tutorial on how to oil the bearings would be welcomed. Haven't found any
frown.gif
Look at item 3 in my sig. I use the same method for lubing ball bearing fans. I'm not sure that lithium grease would be an improvement.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume;13502778
Look at item 3 in my sig. I use the same method for lubing ball bearing fans. I'm not sure that lithium grease would be an improvement.
But that only involves, and not the ball races. Do you only oil the rotor? I think that doesn't have any effect on ball bearing fans. If I don't clean and oil my skate's bearings, they won't roll fast enough.

In this thread there are pictures on how to remove the bearing. Any "how to oil ball bearings" search will return a few good tutorials, but it might not be worth the effort. If the bearings wore out, opening them and adding oil won't magically return them to perfect condition.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts