Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a G1 Gigabyte GTX970. Everything seems to run relatively fine (CSGO above 200fps+) although one game I play (Mechwarrior Online http://mwomercs.com) does dip below 90fps but apparently the cryengine is terribly optimized. I run 1080p on a 24" ASUS pretty much but looking to get a 27" and run 1440p. Worried if the GTX970 can do minimum 140fps for the games I play for 144hz.

I was looking at 980Ti's but they are still pretty damn expensive ~$600.... I don't really want to wait for summer/fall for the 1000GTX series to release, and I heard they would be expensive anyway. Is it worth purchasing a base 980GTX? I really don't like SLI, I hate having all those PCI-E cables and most games don't seem even optimized for SLI.

Should the GTX970 run 1440p on a 27" 144hz monitor fine? (I need minimum 144fps since I play competitively) or should I bite the bullet and just pay the premium for a 980Ti? What about the 980 base model?

Please let me know, thank you!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was in the same boat as you when I built my rig. This is just my opinion take it as you will.
I dont think current hardware is ready for competitive gameplay at 144fps with 1440p.
Notice I said competitive.
Most games will not stay at a solid 144 fps with 1440p. The titan will obviously be better but I personally dont think its worth the money at the time. Nor will it run most modern graphics games at 1440p 144fps.

Another thing to consider....
Allot of competitive players prefer 1080p over 1440p because the nature of the small pixels makes it harder for you to see the enemy and aim at them. I dont know exactly how it works but I am guessing its the way the mouse scales with pixels on the monitor. You have to move your mouse in smaller increments in order to hit a target pixel.

I personally wanted a good 4k gaming monitor that I could lower the resolution to 1080p, so I could watch media in 4k and play games at 1080p.
1440p monitors do not scale perfectly to 1080p, but 4k does. A good 4k gaming monitor will cost you $800+

I guess it really comes down to you. Are you serious about gaming? Do you want the top score every time? When you lose do you get frustrated? Then 1440p is probably not for you at this time. In my opinion, for the current hardware and games 1080p has more advantages then 1440p.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allseeing View Post

I was in the same boat as you when I built my rig. This is just my opinion take it as you will.
I dont think current hardware is ready for competitive gameplay at 144fps with 1440p.
Notice I said competitive.
Most games will not stay at a solid 144 fps with 1440p. The titan will obviously be better but I personally dont think its worth the money at the time. Nor will it run most modern graphics games at 1440p 144fps.

Another thing to consider....
Allot of competitive players prefer 1080p over 1440p because the nature of the small pixels makes it harder for you to see the enemy and aim at them. I dont know exactly how it works but I am guessing its the way the mouse scales with pixels on the monitor. You have to move your mouse in smaller increments in order to hit a target pixel.

I personally wanted a good 4k gaming monitor that I could lower the resolution to 1080p, so I could watch media in 4k and play games at 1080p.
1440p monitors do not scale perfectly to 1080p, but 4k does. A good 4k gaming monitor will cost you $800+

I guess it really comes down to you. Are you serious about gaming? Do you want the top score every time? When you lose do you get frustrated? Then 1440p is probably not for you at this time. In my opinion, for the current hardware and games 1080p has more advantages then 1440p.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm pretty serious with CSGO, Battlefield and other competitive games. I know what you mean about resolution, since most CSGO players play at a lower resolution, so I was hoping a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor wouldn't make me play worse.

so i don't know if I should head for a gtx980ti or gtx980 or just keep my gtx970 or even upgrade to a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor now....
rolleyes.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts