Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have managed to get my 920 to 4 GHz stable, but I cant seem to go any higher. When I try 4.2, Windows flashes a quick BSOD and reboots. Here are my current settings:

FSB: 286 MHz
RAM: 762 MHz (3:4)
vcore: 1.3
vdimm: 2.1
all other voltage options: auto
PCI-E: 100 MHz
PCI: 33.3 MHz
RAM Timmings: 4-4-4-12

When I tried to go for 4.2, I used these settings:

FSB: 300 MHz
RAM: 800 MHz (3:4)
vcore: 1.35
vdimm: 2.1
all other voltage options: auto
PCI-E: 100 MHz
PCI: 33.3 MHz
RAM Timmings: 4-4-4-12

Have I hit my max, or are there other things I can try? I dont want to go to high on the vcore for fear of overheating/frying

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
I'm not sure how different Intel chips are, but I've had my 3200 as high as 1.6 VCore and it hasn't gotten grossly overheated.

Perhaps try upping the voltage for your RAM? Or loosening the timings, perhaps.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROBN4LYFE
You can try a different multiplier for the CPU to reallocate some of the bandwith...
No, Intel chips have there multi's locked (unless I am missing somthing blatently obviose in my BIOS
)

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p

I'm not sure how different Intel chips are, but I've had my 3200 as high as 1.6 VCore and it hasn't gotten grossly overheated.

they are vastly different, 1.6v would destroy that CPU.

I would try 290FSB before making a huge jump to 300FSB...small steps are best. You can go up to 1.4v on that CPU is needed and if your temps are under 55c load so you have some room in voltage depending on your temp....

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thumper
they are vastly different, 1.6v would destroy that CPU.

I would try 290FSB before making a huge jump to 300FSB...small steps are best. You can go up to 1.4v on that CPU is needed and if your temps are under 55c load so you have some room in voltage depending on your temp....
Is that voltage setting the same with a WC application? I'm now running 1.385, but had it at 1.45 for a 4.042Ghz OC. 288.8 FSB/578Ram... I know my board is scheizer, but his board should be able to yield some better results... even at a 1:1 ratio... I am guessing he is aircooled? And why not 1:1, instead of 3:4?

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1

Is that voltage setting the same with a WC application? I'm now running 1.385, but had it at 1.45 for a 4.042Ghz OC. 288.8 FSB/578Ram... I know my board is scheizer, but his board should be able to yield some better results... even at a 1:1 ratio... I am guessing he is aircooled? And why not 1:1, instead of 3:4?

Because 3:4 makes my RAM run faster, isnt that better?

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
yes give up now and stop trying...

Just kidding....

In all seriousness everytime I hit my so called max I manage to find a few mhz more that I can climb...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
3:4 does make the ram run faster, and you are correct in stating it has been said to be a bit faster, but is that little bit of performance worth the setback of having to set your memory t higher timings? Wait, now I see, you have 800's, sorry, same type of set-up, crappier board, and slower memory on my half. Good Luck. Although, 1.3V for your Vcore is extremely low sounding, try something higher, and what are your temps at idle and load again? Most reviews, and my own experience have shown that in order to get over 3.920Ghz, you need to set the vcore at 1.35V or higher... try an increase in your vcore...

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Technically, 1.4 is the limit on air. I am conservative on voltages, but that's just my point of view......you really need high end water cooling, something that gets your load temps under 40c and maybe even into the high 30s to go over and not risk CPU failure within 12-16 months, and even then 1.45 is about all I would suggest for 24/7operation.

There has beena lot of talk but no show for any proof of RAM running faster than the CPU providing any benefit. The onthing shown has been some slight increases in SuperPi times, however, no one can provide any evidence of faster real world performance.

1:1is what you want for your best performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts