Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I oced my gpu to 815/2022/1220 and i thought it wasn't too high for a card like this but 10 minutes ago i was playing NFS undercover and the game started to stutter then it froze after 2-3 secs the comp crashed and gave me a BSOD!! I restarted the comp and got back into windows. Took back the oc and played the game again. It played fine. It was a little slower than before but fine. I oced it a couple of days ago and everything was fine up until now. Temps are normal. 78 Underload (Is this normal?) and 60% fan speed. Is my gpu dead?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
i would whack the fan to 80%. i don't think you have killed it.

Edit:it might just be too much for the card, my 8800GS did it, even though temps were normal it would just crash.

nothing you can do really.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I backed the oc and played the game and it was fine. I'm using realtemp and it shows that the highest temp was around 68ish. Is there a risk if i pump the fan up to %100 and try again? I don't want to damage it permanently but then again it's not a real high oc

Quote:
nothing you can do really

What do you mean nothing you can do???!? I damaged it permanently?!?!

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlUgOuT View Post
I backed the oc and played the game and it was fine. I'm using realtemp and it shows that the highest temp was around 68ish. Is there a risk if i pump the fan up to %100 and try again? I don't want to damage it permanently but then again it's not a real high oc

What do you mean nothing you can do???!? I damaged it permanently?!?!
no i don't mean that, sorry if i gave the wrong impression. I mean that some cards OC more than others, you might have just got a poor OCing card, and in that respect, theres nothing you can do.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh boy. [Sigh] It's kinda new and i freaked out!. I increased the fan speed to 100%. Hey does a card @ 50c give a better performance than another @ 60c? Everything else is same

Quote:

I mean that some cards OC more than others, you might have just got a poor OCing card, and in that respect, theres nothing you can do.
Oh well. As long as it's working i don't give a damn

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what i did.

1) Blamed myself for damaging the gpu.
2) Kept on blaming then the phone rang...
3) Used Evga Precision instead of nTune
4)Oced it to 815/2022/1220 and whacked the fan to 100%.
5) Set a profile for it so everytime i start a game , i click on that profile and it stays oced. And reset it when i don't play game
6)Question: I played undercover for about 30 mins and it played fine. Can i count on it? or terminate the oc just to be safe?
6.6) How much time should it last with furmark to understand that it's stable?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys he's officially dead. I was playing undercover fan 100% and after about 2 hours it crashed. BSOD. RIP. I screwed up real bad this time. Oh god

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Ok guys he's officially dead. I was playing undercover fan 100% and after about 2 hours it crashed. BSOD. RIP. I screwed up real bad this time. Oh god
At stock speeds or overclocked speeds?

If it's doing it at overclocked speeds it's because the OC is too high and isn't stable. You're overreacting just a bit here.

You can't kill a card by running it at too high of a clock speed, it just won't be stable and will crash/BSOD.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok. How long does it need to be under load in a stability test program for me to understand that it's stable?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

How long do you play them usually to test your oc?..
Couple hours should be good. But i don't test with 100% fan speed since that's beyond loud, and provides unrealistically low temps unless you want to hear that fan all the time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh well. Until i have the money to get a GTS250 to sli with my current gpu. I won't be sli so i need the best i can get. Of course i damaged it today. Let's hope not. Here's another 2 questions.

1)Can i sli 9800GTX+ with GTS250 ON my current mobo?
2)The gpu runs @ 815/2022/1220 when oced , which one should i decrease?

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Oh well. Until i have the money to get a GTS250 to sli with my current gpu. I won't be sli so i need the best i can get. Of course i damaged it today. Let's hope not. Here's another 2 questions.

1)Can i sli 9800GTX+ with GTS250 ON my current mobo?
2)The gpu runs @ 815/2022/1220 when oced , which one should i decrease?
1) Pretty sure you can't, unless flashing a GPU BIOS can make them work together.

2) No idea. I'd guess the core or shaders if it was making a BSOD.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I searched it and it turned out that they are basicly the same card but if you say that i can't i'll go with another 9800GTX+ but i was wondering if i can sli anything on my mobo. It has 2 PCIe slots , 2.0 i think , One 8x the other is 16x.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts