Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle_ur...wQ&gl=us&hl=en

Using that multimeter (which is what my grandpa has-- and I'm going to ask him if I can borrow it); how would I read the volts on my 7600GT? I know you have to do it while its on, and in 3D Clocks mode (run ATITools or something I would assume would work), and you be off. However, I don't know where to put the leads, or how to actually read/use a multimeter.

Gunna pick up a good artist pencil, just throwing that out.

I assume if I had a picture of how to do it (I do), I would put the red lead on the vgpu measure on it and the black (ground, right?) to the case, or something like that? Or somewhere on the card? Not sure about that one.

And how *do* you use a multimeter? Just hook it up, touch the points, and it comes out as ohms? Don't really get it.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
you set it to measure VOLTS. Measuring OHMS would be done when it's OFF. you only measure core voltage on....measure the resistance of a resistor when it's off.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Delete

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I've heard somewhere that the black lead goes to a black pin on any spare molex. Not sure though.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

you set it to measure VOLTS. Measuring OHMS would be done when it's OFF. you only measure core voltage on....measure the resistance of a resistor when it's off.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3330&s=1

So ohms while its off, and measure volts of the core/mem when its off?

And what do you set it at for volts? DCV? DCA? ACV? What about for ohms?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3330&s=1

So ohms while its off, and measure volts of the core/mem when its off?

And what do you set it at for volts? DCV? DCA? ACV? What about for ohms?

OK To measure voltage on set it to 20V dc.....On the Ohms set to 200....
Check the Ohms while the power is off, you might want to take the card out....To check the voltage the power has to be on and going through the card....I have never done a V-card before so you may need to dissapate the charge in it before you check the resistence, I dont know....
Not much help I know but that's all I've got.....
EDIT: In general comp use the red is 5V the Yellow 12V and black is ground...

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Erm...

How do I read Ohms? There isn't an "ohms" option on the multimeter. (least, that I see.)

And where do I put each lead? Thought there was only a red and black that I needed to use. :***:

·
Registered
409 Posts
dont measure ohms... unless the resister is out of the circuit.. u would be measuring the resistance of that resister in parrallel with the rest of the circuit..

just measure volts... and if u need more info do a search on ur video card pencil mod

the black lead of the volt meter needs to be the compairson voltage.. in this case ground ie. black wire of the power supply would surfice.. make sure u got a nice sharp point when ur probing around on the card while its powered on.. dont wanna short anything together that isnt soposed to be by using fat probes

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
To measure voltage - Set the dial on the multimeter to the 20 mark in the DCV section. Take the red wire and touch the probe point into the hole/onto the metal contact marked VGPU Measure or VMem Measure:

Then touch the black probe against any point on your case that is bare metal

To measure resistance across the resistor you are modding (does not have to be done while the card is powered on) - Set the dial to 2000 in the section with the Omega symbol. Touch the red probe to one end of the resistor and the black probe to the other end.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks a lot.

Will let you know tonight how it goes.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, problem.

The multimeter only has 10, 50, 250, and 500 for DCV.

Can I use 10, and just x2 the result? Or can't do that?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah - quick google came up with the answer. (yes
)

Anyway;

I get this:
(2D)
35(x2)
Should be 1.3v

How would I find out?

BTW - I'm using an analog multimeter....
So yeah. Really sucks.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·

29,532 Posts
It is 1.3v then. You're right. Just pencil and keep trying. Try as little as possibly and check the difference again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

You cannot measure a component of one individual piece as long as it is in a circuit, regardless if its off or not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts