Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am looking to get a new phone and I am not really sure which one I want to choose. I have AT&T and I have a couple of options in mind. I really would like to know...which one you think will be better overall in the choices I write here.

Blackberry Bold
HTC Touch Diamond
Apple iPhone 3G

I want a smart phone because I need it for work. I have an upgrade coming up and I am trying to see what I should purchase. If you have any other suggestions besides those please tell me and also, tell me why. I mean...personal experience or preference always helps! Thank you!

~dutchdiosa

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well the Bold isn't a touch screen so I'll assume you mean the storm.

Stay away! IF you txt do not get this phone as its a nightmare to type on. I run a BES enterprise server at work and I've had to deal w/ a few of these Storms. I have fairly large hands and i seriously cannot type on the thing.

I hate hate hate HATE apple so I'd say if your going to be supporting APPLE you are helping everything I HATE about the computer industry. Aka Proprietary hardware w/ ridiculous software restrictions. However I will go as far to say I wish another company would steal the concept of how Iphone deals w/ touch recognition.

I personally have a Verizon LG Voyager which I LOVE . The touch screen isn't perfect but I have the "ENVY" style keybaord to txt long messages if need be.

Anyways Apple uses the electricity in your fingers to pick up on the touch screen where as every other that I'm aware of is pressure sensitive.

I'd say get a Voyager or Dare. However if your looking for more smart phone features like email linking it depends on what you or your place of employment will be running. If you run a BES server (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) Obviously a Blackberry would be your best chioce. My work phone is the BlackBerry World Edition and I have no complaints aside for lack of Java & Flash support.

Perhaps a PALM w/ Windows Mobile would be an option for you. Easy ability to sync w/ a Microsoft Exchange Server for emailing ability.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
A buddy has the HTC Touch Diamond and he had it break on him 3 times already. They seem to have a 3 month life span...
Other than that it's an awesome little bugger.

Apple = the crap. iPhone = still crap.
I hate apple, iPod and iPhone. Innovation is awesome for that company, but their concept of thought is horrid. So I agree with RyanRacer.

Someone I know has the Bold and would die for it. He absolutely loves it. Has not had a problem with it.

I have the Blackberry Pearl 8130, and it's awesome too; except that little ball thing seems to be getting less sensitive over time... but I had it for over a year and a half, so...

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Bloodfire I've actually noticed that too. Especially playing brick breaker
LOL My wheel isn't near as senstive as it was when I first got it. It appears to be the blackberry Achilles heel. Just get a protective case and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanRacer48
View Post

Bloodfire I've actually noticed that too. Especially playing brick breaker
LOL My wheel isn't near as senstive as it was when I first got it. It appears to be the blackberry Achilles heel. Just get a protective case and your good to go.

Ya, I use the protective sleeve and protective case, but the ball still ends up crapping out. In brick breaker, I HATE when you move it one direction and it decides to get confused and go the wrong direction. ***?

And it loses calls alot more often now too... but that may be because I'm using Bell Canada; and they screwed me over often enough that I can say I'm not going back.

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
i have had a touch diamond since september and i love it to pieces. take care of it and it will be very very good to you. it's so small, and light, and beautiful
. love at first sight for me

sure, the battery is bad, and the phone can get pretty slow on a stock rom, but apart from that it is a jack of all trades. i don't leave home without it, ever. it does everything i want it to. yesterday, i had a 4 hour long train journey and what did i do to entertain myself? fired up a book from my library, and listened to music. and when i got bored, i watched a movie. that's just the tip of the iceberg - with the right apps, it can open comics, you can play snes, gameboy, etc games, and you can also do work with office mobile, and have it all sync easily to your desktop PC via activesync / windows mobile device center. note that one of the main gripes about WM; the UI, doesn't fly with me as i have gotten well used to it.

if i could get it or a touch pro i would probably get the touch pro for the better battery, and the keyboard.

if you do get it, be sure to get a bluetooth headset or a extusb -> 3.5mm headphone adapter. that's one thing imo they missed the ball on with these newer devices. let me know if you want any more personal insights

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
If you do lots of typing on your phone, skip the touchscreen. Tactile buttons are way easier to type on, IMO.

I have a Blackjack 2 and love it. The battery lasts a decent amount of time, it's easy to synch with Outlook/Exchange for emails, calendars, and contacts, it synchs with OneNote, and has really good performance in general. Plus, now they're only about $50 for a new one.

Also, it's interesting to see the negative feedback about HTC phones. They're normally pretty good. Maybe the Touch Diamond is just a bum unit. The Fuze looks pretty nice since it has both a touchscreen and a real keyboard. It's pretty expensive, though.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Get the Bold. It's great except for the browser - but if you don't have 3G then don't worry about it. Also, you can just get Opera for the bold. Way better.

·
Registered
699 Posts
IMHO the iphone is the best device ever created
so my vote is for iphone

in june/july rumor is there will be new iphone model so keep that in mind

also they havent updated the software on the iphone in months so i would say 90% chance in june/july they are going to drop another HUGE software update iphone firmware 3.0 probably which hopefully will add everything the iphone is missing as far as software goes.

ps. i have used the bold and the storm, but not the HTC

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright well, I see that people are voicing their opinions for the Bold and against the iPhone. I have been considering the Bold more just because I am a huge Blackberry fan, but I also had the iPhone at one point. I got annoyed that there were really no buttons to press, but it was more convenient and silent to e-mail and text with.

So the battery life on the Touch Diamond isn't that hot? I really like how the phone looks and I have seen one in person, I just see it more in an aesthetic light I guess. Same thing with the iPhone. If anyone else has opinions let me know...still in the deciding field...looking like the Bold is where I am going to be headed though. How is the keyboard on the Bold?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My work supports Blackberry. That's a reason why I have been leaning towards it. Then again, depending on whether or not I get my new job, I will find out if they support Blackberry.

Also, I know the other two phones were touch screen. Blackberry was just another phone I was thinking of. It doesn't have to be a touch screen. As previously stated, depending on what my next job requires or supports will help make that final decision. However, if you think Blackberry isn't worth it nor is a touch screen, then are there any other phones offered by AT&T that I should look at?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanRacer48
View Post

Stay away! IF you txt do not get this phone as its a nightmare to type on. I run a BES enterprise server at work and I've had to deal w/ a few of these Storms.

I have a Storm.

I love it.

I txt.

Fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.