Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a problem with new computer booting.<br>
I have installed windows like 3 times now, it works after it first installs, and then I install the Nvidia chipset drivers, and then reboot. Well for some reason it won't boot to windows unless I have the windows cd in the cd-rom. It will just say boot disk failure, even if there is a disk or no disk in the drive. Still does this even if I don't tell it to boot off the cd, it just sits there at the screen that tells you all the volts of everything, then eventually does the boot disk error.<br><br><br>
This is the board: <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138268" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138268</a><br><br>
This tells all what is it in(at the bottom) - <a href="http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/123491-new-parts-computer-build-3.html" target="_blank">http://www.overclock.net/amd-general...r-build-3.html</a><br><br>
Anyone have an suggestions.

·
Banned
931 Posts
I had the same problem, but with SCSI drives. Can you change the boot disk priority??? I had to change it to PCI Controller, because of the SCSI controller card I was using. Just check the boot disk priority if you can and make sure it is to the IDE. Also, try making sure that the HDD is the first boot device.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have done that, I have even made it where it only boots from the HD, but still gives the same error after a while. I have even put the cmos settings to default, and still does it. Its like no matter what it looks at the cdrom, and if I unhook the cdrom, it just sits there at the screen that tells you all the vols of everything and never boots.<br>
Have one last idea.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Also, if your not using any SATA or RAID device, try disabling them too.

·
Banned
931 Posts
I wish I could help right now, but I am at school. I will try to look at what I did when I get home and I will let you know, so you can try. I don't think that I had to reinstall Windows, but I will check when I get home.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, will disable raid and sata, think they already are, will check. ALso the bios has a IDE function setup, and stuff called primary master PIO, its set to auto, but I can change it to mode 0-4, does this have to do with anything?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>K092084</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Ok, will disable raid and sata, think they already are, will check. ALso the bios has a IDE function setup, and stuff called primary master PIO, its set to auto, but I can change it to mode 0-4, does this have to do with anything?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Leave it to Auto, PIO modes are of no value, older slower standards for when someone uses an ancient HDD.... thinking you have at least an ATA rating LOL so that PIO 0-4 standard in then moot.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, it s WD120gb, I think it something with the board, because it works fine with the windows cd in the drive, it boots to windows, it just won't boo to windows without the cd in there for some reason. Think it is something software related because it still don't boo to the hard drive, even when I have it set to the first boot device. Either that or is the board.<br>
Also disable raid and SATA didn't work. I have no clue what it is.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gonna reinstall windows one more time, and not install the Nvidia chipset drivers, like the IDE controller, and see what it does, and if it still does it then it is someting in BIOS or it is the board, because it takes like 30secs-1min for it to detect IDE devices.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just reintalled windows, still has the same problem. I think it is the board, or something in the BIOS is really messed up, but it won't boot to the HD without the windows cd being in the drive.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Have you check for BIOS and driver updates, just a thought.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Have you checked the jumper settings on the hard drive? Also have you tried to flash your BIOS to the latest version, if it isn't already the latest?

• Rep+
Reactions: K092084

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought of the bios thing, on the website it says that it only fixes seeing SATA HD that are 300 and 500 gb, but did it anyways, still have problem<br><br>
Have the jumper on the HD to master with slave, just because with it on master it still didn't work, and then have the jumper on the cd drive as slave. but both are on 2 different IDE cables.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think is just the board, that it has a problem. No big deal, but guess that is what I get for getting the open box sale, but hey it was $22 compared to $65.99 new. I would be upset about this, but this is just gonna be a folder, and get some lit use when I tinker with my main one. Will just have to make a copy of the windows cd, and just leave it in the drive I guess. No biggie. But if someone knows what is causing this, or knows how to help, that would still be very appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you by any chance tried another HDD? "Disc Boot Failure" was what I was getting when I didn't plug in my HDD one day. If there was a Windows problem, it will say that a file / thing is missing. Just a thought...<br><br>
cause_of_chaos

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cause - haven't tried another HD, making that my last resort, since I would have to take one out of my main one, don't want to do.<br><br>
Enterprise - Don't think so, have reset the bios like 3 times now, will have to check, won't be until tomorrow or saturday, as I won't have time, unless I get some free time. Don't have case for it yet, getting tomorrow, so I have to get everything out and hook it up, and then unhook it when i am done. Not hard, I just get lazy.<br><br>
Guy I know said that it seems like my masterboot record is messed up, and to repair. So i will try that also, and tell you guys if it gets fixed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm... Does your BIOS CORRECTLY detect the HDD (i.e. shows the correct size and model)? I had a problem with a Maxtor SATA HDD and my bros NForce3 mobo that was sorted my a HDD firmware upgrade, but don't think that IDE HDDs have this same problem. Also, is the HDD plugged directly into the mobo or an ATA controller card?<br><br>
Also, does WD have a diagnostic S/W you can try? I only use Maxtors myself, so I don't know...<br><br>
cause_of_chaos

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Single WD IDE HDDs need no jumper, are you settin a jumper to Master, if so use no jumper for a single HDD?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts