Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought, I came to decide that I would give watercooling a go. My system is as follows:

Case: Corsair 800d
CPU: i7 920 (Ran on a Corsair H20 previously 4.3Ghz Stable 77-8 max temp)
VGA: Sapphire HD5850
Mobo: P6X58D
PSU: 850W Corsair HX
Mem: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator (cant remember the settings)

Fans
3x 120mm Scythe Kaze Juni
1x 120mm Scythe Ultra Kaze
2x 140mm Xigamatec Flash Flash Bzz Bzz

Watercooling components
Rad: Thermochill PA120.3
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee XT Extreme
GPU Block: EK 5850
Res: EK Spin Dual Bay
Pump: D5 Vario Laing

Now my issue is that, although I am able to power my Motherboard, I am unable to recieve any signal on my monitor, I figured maybe it could be a problem with my video card so I unplugged it, detached the waterblocked and reattached it again, this time screwing it on with less force. This resulted in about 2 minutes of signal on my monitor before it froze. Upon restarting it again, i was back to square one.

It sounds like a problem with my VGA to me although im not entirely sure what im doing wrong. However, it could also have something to do with my CPU perhaps. But if that was the case wouldnt the bios be able to boot up anyway? I would truely appreciate some advice.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That's a strange issue you have there
If you can't get it working I would suggest taking the watercooling off and going back to air and see if you can get it working. Once its working add the blocks and start again. It just seems weird to me, did the fluid leak out anywhere at all? A small bit on the mobo could I guess cause problems with it gets conductive

If you are 100% sure there was no water spillage maybe you tightened the water block on the GPU too tight
and cracked something which could resort in a broken circuit on the PCB somewhere. Check for any cracks or slight damage on the GPU.

Hope you fix this problem

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mybrakesarefine
View Post

... detached the waterblocked and reattached it again, this time screwing it on with less force. This resulted in about 2 minutes of signal on my monitor before it froze. Upon restarting it again, i was back to square one.

This might be a problem.
Have you followed the Installation and mounting manual to the letter? (eg Install the standoffs and thermal pads correctly?)

Step 2-7 specifically says ''not to use too much force by pressing block down to PCB. Chips are prone to cracking''.

I suggest you take the block out and examine the card carefully to see if anything is damaged or cracked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts