Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my pc I have a dual boot of XP and Windows 7, I use XP for certain games and for my Sony Handycam software. The Handycam software does not run properly in Vista / 7 so unfortunately I need to leave XP on my PC.

Anyway, I frequently have my MBR corrupted or copied over or something to where I can no longer boot to 7. It will boot straight to XP. This is easily fixed by booting the 7 install dvd and using the Bootsect /nt60 command in the dos prompt. It's just a huge hassle!

I've started noticing a couple patterns. This will sometimes happen after a system crash, I usually lose all info in my BIOS as well when this occurs.

The other times it happens is when I have certain dvd's in my drive or certain USB devices plugged up. I could almost understand if I had a XP disk on them but I do not. One game that I'm currently having issues with causing this problem is GTA4. It just baffles me.

Anyway, does anyone know what could be going on or how to keep this from happening? Can I set up a small USB thumb drive to boot up to and fix the issue without having to load the windows setup each time?

XP SP3 / Win 7 RC 7200

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
First off, you could try a 3rd party boot loader.

Secondly, check your battery for your CMOS and consider replacing it.

Thirdly, if its happening when you're using DVD's and stuff, it could be your PSU being overloaded and causing system instability.

Just my 2 cents

Regards,

Comps

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145
View Post

First off, you could try a 3rd party boot loader.

Secondly, check your battery for your CMOS and consider replacing it.

Thirdly, if its happening when you're using DVD's and stuff, it could be your PSU being overloaded and causing system instability.

Just my 2 cents

Regards,

Comps

It's really two problems, the main issue is why would the MBR become corrupt from booting with certain DVD's in drive (GTA4 for instance). Surely there is nothing on the DVD that would have affect on the MBR.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I get the same issue with WinXP if I restart with my iPod plugged in. I have to unplug it, and hard restart if I forget its attached. It also resets my BIOS boot order to default. I have heard from a few other people that some select USB items will do the same thing. Have you done any experimenting on booting with and w/o said USB items?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts