Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

To keep it short, after plugging in my 7950,nothing comes up and when I plug directly to my motherboard, everything works fine.
I am using Asrock z77 Extreme4 motherboard, running on i5 3570k (no oc), with 8 gigs of 1600mhz Gskill ram.

So when I am plugging in my gpu, SAPPHIRE logo illuminates, fans on gpu is working, but there is no BIOS flash screen. Instead, the motherboard reads error code "62".

I have tried other pci slots, but having same error. I have also set the PCIe as my "Primary", but still nothing happens and it gets freeze before BIOS flash scree.

I cannot afford another card, and I bought this in 2013,this is all I have. I wish there is some magic way to make this card work again.

I haven't tested on other computers, but yeah that's the only last option which I have to try.

Yesterday, something weird happened, as I was troubleshooting with my gpu, I plugged in and it indeed bootup in windows. But the loading was so slow like it was struggling at windows loading icon, but after few seconds, when you are in OS, everything was working fine. I was confused, so I did install the latest driver and everything was working fine. The next day, I switch on again, it again greeted me with error code 62.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 033Y5 View Post

could you try clearing cmos and remove all ram and try each stick individually
Hi,
I already did that. I have tried pressing the clr cmos given at motherboard, and also taking battery off for 3mins. After bootup, it ends up showing error code 62 at motherboard and nothing on screen.

Right now, the ram sticks are on 3rd and 4th,when I switch sometimes it shows code 55.
But both ram sticks are working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
have you been using the 7950 before the issue or a different gpu?
are you using the most recent motherboard bios ?

can you unplug and reseat all you power cables for gpu and cpu 4/8 pin and motherboard 24 pin

can you boot using the igpu on your cpu and go to Boot section of the BIOS and switch it from Legacy to EFI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 033Y5 View Post

have you been using the 7950 before the issue or a different gpu?
are you using the most recent motherboard bios ?

can you unplug and reseat all you power cables for gpu and cpu 4/8 pin and motherboard 24 pin

can you boot using the igpu on your cpu and go to Boot section of the BIOS and switch it from Legacy to EFI
Hey, I somehow manage to run my card on single stick which happened just now. So now that I have logged into windows with my card, I run the furmark stress test and after few minutes in, it crashed. And when I reboot, it shows code error 62 again. So I again took out battery and my ram stick started again, its not even booting and showing error code 62
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 033Y5 View Post

dont use furmark but try unigine heaven / valley
is the card overheating
have you changed thermal paste on the card
As soon as I run the furmark at that time, it was showing 61 degree Celsius and was going up to 67 and then it crashed.

Did you mean thermal paste on cpu? Or gpu? I did changed paste on cpu, but not on gpu. I mean, can we even open gpu? :O
 

·
Overclocked
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
What is your PSU? It could be the problem.
 

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker91 View Post

Cooler Master GX650 Bronze.
not very fond of cooler master units, but it should be plenty doesnt mean it is. im seeing 6 issues that could be possible causes:

1. Bad or "going bad" RAM that hasnt completely given up the ghost yet

2. bent or missing CPU pins

3. Internal CPU memory controller going bad (usually only happens if you overvolt it too far)

4. Inadequite power (im not a psu guru but 7950s draw alot of power. around 250-300w IF i remember correctly, its been a while)

5. Bad PCI-E Slots on Motherboard

6. The GPU is going bad (only way to find this out is test it in another known working pc)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

not very fond of cooler master units, but it should be plenty doesnt mean it is. im seeing 6 issues that could be possible causes:

1. Bad or "going bad" RAM that hasnt completely given up the ghost yet

2. bent or missing CPU pins

3. Internal CPU memory controller going bad (usually only happens if you overvolt it too far)

4. Inadequite power (im not a psu guru but 7950s draw alot of power. around 250-300w IF i remember correctly, its been a while)

5. Bad PCI-E Slots on Motherboard

6. The GPU is going bad (only way to find this out is test it in another known working pc)
PC is working just fine when I unplug my gpu and connect directly to my motherboard via hdmi. And both 8GB ram working perfectly.

There can be issue of bent cpu pin because, at the time I purchased this motherboard, I didn't knew but something was wrong with pin coz it was restarting again and again back in 2013. So asrock people fix it (no replacement), and it worked perfectly fine after that.

I tried different pcie slot, same 62 error.

But I am interested and want to give shot by opening my gpu. @003Y5 suggested that I should add paste on gpu. Do you think if that will work?
 

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker91 View Post

PC is working just fine when I unplug my gpu and connect directly to my motherboard via hdmi. And both 8GB ram working perfectly.

There can be issue of bent cpu pin because, at the time I purchased this motherboard, I didn't knew but something was wrong with pin coz it was restarting again and again back in 2013. So asrock people fix it (no replacement), and it worked perfectly fine after that.

I tried different pcie slot, same 62 error.

But I am interested and want to give shot by opening my gpu. @003Y5 suggested that I should add paste on gpu. Do you think if that will work?
thermal paste replacement will help temperature wise if done properly. dont touch the thermal pads on the GPU's ram chips though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

thermal paste replacement will help temperature wise if done properly. dont touch the thermal pads on the GPU's ram chips though
I mean opening and cleaning gpu all together will be a good idea? And worth a shot? Before I go ahead and buy 1060. And before that, I will test on other pc too.
 

·
Overclocked
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker91 View Post

Cooler Master GX650 Bronze.
Looks like a decent PSU. But it is still a suspect. Unless you can test the 7950 in another PC to rule it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
A modified non-modular version of Silent Pro 600/700W.
 

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlessKnight View Post

Looks like a decent PSU. But it is still a suspect. Unless you can test the 7950 in another PC to rule it out.
i go simply by hey. it crashed under load. PSU is first thing id worry about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post

i go simply by hey. it crashed under load. PSU is first thing id worry about.
Why is it not crashing when running without gpu. I also not ready to accept until I check on another system that gpu is dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
when did this problem first start ? did you change anything in the pc before this started happening?
try cleaning the gold contacts on the graphics card and no the ram sticks

did you try all ram with one stick at a time and each slot ?

did you try booting using the igpu on your cpu and going to Boot section of the BIOS and switch it from Legacy to EFI?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top