1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
889 Posts
go with higher hz for pic qual. size for viewable space imo id go with hz because u want to game and use it for a pc monitor so refresh rate is a factor

hope this helps

my

·
Old to Overclock.net
2,454 Posts
you sure you wont have a flickering prob with a 120hz tv and a GPU supporting 60hz?hmm we'll both have to think about this. I heard probems before

meh...as long as you can manually set it to 60hz for when youre gaming then youre fine. but then you might as well get the larger 60hz one anyway.....LOL this must be tearing you apart for sure now, sorry.

Now I remember the problem I had heard about. the 5800 ati series cards downclock its 2d rendering when not gaming to conserve power. Of which caused an irritating issue of flikr on this users monitor. I think the prob could be resolved by changing the bios to something that would no longer allow for the downclock as it seemed to be the only way around it at this time.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzyko80 View Post
trust me just go with quality lol you wont miss that 6 inch difference much

The misinformation you're spreading in this thread is amazing.

Quote:

go with higher hz for pic qual. size for viewable space imo id go with hz because u want to game and use it for a pc monitor so refresh rate is a factor

hope this helps

my

Go with the 46 inch.

First of all: 120hz won't help you with gaming at all. A 120hz monitor doesn't accept 120hz input, it simply displays two identical frames for every 1 frame of input. While this slightly helps motion blur, it does NOTHING for input lag, which is the biggest deal in gaming.

As for 6 inches not making a difference....

A 40 inch tv has a viewing area of 683.24 square inches

A 46 inch tv has a viewing area of 903.58 square inches.

That's a whole 40% increase in area.....not a small deal at all.

Trust me, go with the 46

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Quote:

trust me just go with quality lol you wont miss that 6 inch difference much

Please stop talking. A higher refresh will not help the input lag that would cause any issues. Also, a 46" will be approximately 125% larger than the 40". This is an easy question...46" for sure.

***Edit...beat to the punch.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
The misinformation you're spreading in this thread is amazing.

Go with the 46 inch.

First of all: 120hz won't help you with gaming at all. A 120hz monitor doesn't accept 120hz input, it simply displays two identical frames for every 1 frame of input. While this slightly helps motion blur, it does NOTHING for input lag, which is the biggest deal in gaming.

As for 6 inches not making a difference....

A 40 inch tv has a viewing area of 683.24 square inches

A 46 inch tv has a viewing area of 903.58 square inches.

That's a whole 40% increase in area.....not a small deal at all.

Trust me, go with the 46
Thanks that guy was getting on my nerves

Now another reason to not touch that 120Hz TV would be if you can not run it at 60Hz when need be...trying to watch a movie or day time cable at 120Hz plays with sped up motion and at times can seem even out of sync

I can't stand it and yeah those 6 inchs are definitely noticeable

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are we saying here that if I the had a choice between 2 tv's at the same price, size, contrast ratio and everything else, the only difference being 60hz and 120hz that I should pick the 60hz?? How come the 120hz sets "look" so much better in store displays? What is this trickery! Also, I'm nearly certain that all 120hz sets have the option of turning it off. Although, whats the point in buying it if its actually worse than the 60hz sets. Based upon a lot of your responses it would seem this is true. What am I missing here??

For instance, I thought I had found a happy medium here with this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs

42" LG 120hz with very nice reviews from multiple sources. Plus its cheaper than both by a decent margin; but if 120hz is actually worse as you guys stated, then whats the point?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts