Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so in about 2 months I leave for the desert. Which wasn't going to be an issue, I had my trusty old Toshiba x205-sli1... The other day I went to power it on after a week or so of not being used and it turns out one (or both) of my gpus is dead. I looked for replacement parts but in the end it just became too pricy. I am now faced with what is quite possibly the HARDEST pc buying decision I will have ever made. The five competitors:
OH GOD ITS SO HARD TO CHOOSE
  • Alienware M11x
  • Asus G72GX
  • Asus G60JX
  • Asus G60VX
  • Acer532g / Asus 1201PN (upon release if its soon enough)
I realize ALL of the Asus laptops are VERY close to eachother in performance...
I'm not neccesarily looking for a desktop replacement, but rather a decent internet use laptop that I can still fire up some newer games on low/med and play without too many hiccups.
I've heard good things about ALL of the above products, and the two netbooks supposedly have a pretty powerful punch for what they are (their predeccesors can supposedly play stuff like L4D on low o_O)

Its a pretty tricky decision to make. The netbooks offer superior battery life to all of the above laptops, where the alienware boasts a good balance between battery life and gaming capability. The Asus laptops all boast pretty good gaming capability and moderate battery life. I really don't know which direction to go. In the desert charging isn't really an issue, but there could be points in time where I may be unable to charge for a few hours... But at that point I can whip out a psp if my laptop dies. I'm not expecting an ungodly amount of offtime, but I do need something to keep me entertained while I'm out there...
Which would you buy in my situation and why? (or if there is definitively a reason to buy one of the above over the rest...)
Thanks in advance
~Xaero

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I like the alienware personally but I would carefully consider my choices and realize compromises must be made. I've found netbooks just don't offer the features I like (more than battery life). I ended up buying a t60p for $400 and haven't looked back since I undervolted. As for your choices, go with whichever has the cheapest replacement batteries, most proven track record for hard use,best cooling system and overall the most features you need.

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been reading a lot of good things about that alienware, and undervolting/voltage profiles are definately a possibility to squeeze a bit more life out of that battery... And I hear it does get about the advertised battery life stock if your just browsing the web and such (I wouldn't game on battery if I could at all avoid it anyway, so this looks to be a good choice)
While the Alienware is pretty and all, and matches netbook size, and would probably keep me happy I can't help but look at the asus' specs and drool... but I have a gaming desktop to game on, so I think I need to seriously reconsider my priorities there and set my sights more on the netbooks or the alienware. I don't game on the go that much, and when I do its typically an event I could bring a mini-desktop or my big rig to...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Exactly. I think the Alienware is where (heh) it's at. Rightmark is what I use for undervolting. I think dropping my volts from 1.25v to 1.05 (at load) and 0.95 at idle prolonged my battery life and lowered my temps by 45min and 20degrees Celsius easily. And that's being conservative. Given, the T60p has pretty terrible cooling execution but I haven't opened it up yet to mod etc.

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that much of a gain just from undervolting? Thats pretty sweet... I'm going to bite the bullet probably later on this week, first I gotta figure out how much plane tickets to go back home are going to be ><
Edit: My wallet is in pain right now
(I bought it)
I'm tossing in a 320gb 7200 rpm HDD from my dead toshiba, and using a 1tb My Passport as storage, should keep me entertained

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The t60p isn't the best example of normal gains. The cooling on it isn't snug against the GPU so temps get crazy and fan cranks on a ton (so part of those gains was a special fan control as well). Lowering the volts helped in all departments though and every bit adds up.

As for which notebook to choose, read as many reliable reviews as you can and try and look at some in person if you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
http://tech.jhankaarbeat.com/?p=1484
I am going to get the ASUS 1201PN. I think that for what you are wanting it for, it will be better than the alienware and longer battery life. Check out the link for the benchmark video. It looks pretty fast and very light. The new ion2 chip automatically switches between 3d mode and the normal mode unlike the older netbooks which you had to manually switch back and forth. Also has HDMI out and supports HD movies which is something the older netbooks couldn't do at all and even a lot of the newer notbooks don't have the power to play HD video smoothly. I also like the 532g but I have read that the ion2 chip on it will only have 8 cores since it is a 10" netbook. Has to be 11" or bigger to use the ion2 with 16 cores which I think could make a difference in HD playback quality and gaming performance although they say that the 532g can play HD smoothly also in 1080p. I have read the 3d mark on the 532g is around 3100 and I just saw on the link I posted at the top that the 1201PN 3dmark was 4482 and that is considerably higher.
I'm going to have to decide after they hit the street and I see some more reviews.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nobody uses 3dmark03 for anything anymore. The ion2 isn't an improvement from the original (really). Auto-switching is pretty standard on most books these days. My T60p does it and it's nearly 4 years old now.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swamibob
View Post

Sorry, but the ion2 in the 12" notebooks are about twice as fast as the original ion (really). The ones in the smaller 10" are closer to the same with only 8 cores, but the 16 core one's are much faster. Read the 3rd message down on this forum http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=698307
Swami

I'm talking about the "original" Ion2. As I wasn't looking at the laptop you mentioned I had no way of knowing it was using the later revision that is actually an improvement I was going off information based on the pre-optimus design scheme. If it's available and it's affordable I fully support it and I'm sure It'll fulfill your every mobile desire.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Seems like I just typed this up in another thread...I should put it in my signature or something.

Consider the Asus UL30Vt. I've had mine for a few months and I'm very happy with it. It's comparable to some of the systems you put in your original post, and it's available through Amazon for $750. There are two versions, and I'd recommend the silver one because it shows fingerprints and dust less and comes with a larger battery. Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts