Overclock.net banner

4321 - 4332 of 4332 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I know I'm late into the game but I want to edit my Powercolor R9 290 PCS+ bios. The card is great, but I want to squeeze more out of it with somewhat manageable temps so it last me enough for next upgrade :)
Started with the bios sent me from Powercolor (the first revisions had some underperforming issue and they distributed new bioses, I have the email still) which is 1040/1350 but veeery hot and noisy. The guide here seems missing, but found on Reddit some guide I followed and were able to modify it. Tested with afterburner, with +0 voltage gain it happily goes to 1080/1480 and stable on heaven for hours. Not the same when I put in the bios the settings tho... I managed to increase the power limit +50% and have a stable 990/1350 bios working, but anything over that is a different story. If I touch the memory, even a slight bit - I have issues - going to 1400 I get all colorful lines in desktop and over that it can't even boot (yet with afterburner it is okay up to 1480, gets unstable on 1490). With the core, even at 1050/1350 I sometimes can't boot, sometimes boots and works great BUT if the gpu is on full load! When I have it on low usage, like some game title screen and the freq is 300-350, the screen flickers like mad, if I disable vsync and have it go max it works. But that's too unstable to be useful...
Attaching the original bios: F3502LAA.ROM, the working 990 modification and the flickering mess that is anything above like 1050. Any idea why afterburner (with +0) is able to make it work but not direct bios? :(

Edit: I was able to make a progress - on 1050/1350 adding +1 (in reality +6.25)mv to the offset made it stable. The rest of the issues still stay with memory being unstable and I have no idea how afterburner is able to clock it better, but it works. Temps are 4 degrees higher than what afterburner is able to do with +0, but I guess I have to live with that

Attachments

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Hi buddy rename your bios to .pdf so you can upload here, the original & ill take a look at it. We could try just delimiting the power limit first & benchmark it.

·
On the search of passion
46 Posts
Hi buddy rename your bios to .pdf so you can upload here,
Thats a very smart move. Never thought of this. I guess, its a normal thing for people which are longer than a decade an active member? :D

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
You can always upload it to a site like filehorse or mega as well. The bios files renamed as .PDF don't play nicely with my amd bios flasher last I tried to rename it and use one.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Is it a joke or something? lol renaming it is self explanatory. It opens fine after renaming it as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: xtremefunky

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I'm in the mood to mod someones BIOS & monitor the results. anyone down to try? 1133Mhz core clock works great at 1333mv & maybe dial in the power limit to delimited & fix the fan profile.

·
Like a fox!
2,565 Posts
I'm in the mood to mod someones BIOS & monitor the results. anyone down to try? 1133Mhz core clock works great at 1333mv & maybe dial in the power limit to delimited & fix the fan profile.
I doubt anyone actually uses any of these cards in 2020 for their primary gaming purposes. Maybe for old retro computers or if they're cold in the winter.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
True that. I want the RX 6900 XT.

·
LTSC for life crew
3,261 Posts
Sure. I'll give it a try.

Here's my stock MSI R9 390 8gb BIOS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I doubt anyone actually uses any of these cards in 2020 for their primary gaming purposes. Maybe for old retro computers or if they're cold in the winter.
HEY! I'm still here :(

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Sure. I'll give it a try.

Here's my stock MSI R9 390 8gb BIOS.
I wish they would allow us to simply .zip our files rather than rename the extension to .pdf.

Anyway, let me know what you find on this BIOS. Make sure your using two dedicated power cables from the PSU to the GPU, 6-pin & 8-pin

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
4321 - 4332 of 4332 Posts