Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Conclusion

When we see people talking about video cards on our forums, the name Gigabyte is rarely mentioned. This is completely understandable considering until very recently, there really wasn’t anything to distinguish their cards from all the other reference-based models out there. As we saw last year in the 9800 GT Roundup, Gigabyte has really been striving to improve upon reference designs with their own modified versions. They have even been fighting tooth and nail to bring the prices of these custom cards down to a level where they are a viable alternative to other company’s reference versions. Knowing all of this, do we think that people should start looking a bit closer at what Gigabyte has to offer? After this review we can certainly say “YES!â€

To be honest with you, this HD 4850 1GB really surprised me in the fact that it seems the additional 512MB of on-board memory does make a difference unlike what we saw with the 1GB 9800 GT. While lower-end cards are bottlenecked by their architecture rather than their memory bandwidth, Gigabyte’s card was able to take advantage of its 1GB framebuffer. In many cases we saw minor improvements when AA was turned on but the largest performance jumps came in typically memory-hogging games. In the DX10 paths of Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead and Hawx, the difference was like night and day, especially at high resolutions which in some rare cases resulted in this card actually taking the HD 4870 512MB to the cleaner’s. This does not mean that architectural limitations are not going to happen considering we saw next to no improvement over the HD 4850 512MB in the majority of the situations. Indeed this 1GB card stays pretty much in-line with the reference 512MB version in most tests but the 1GB of memory definitely seems to be beneficial in DX10 apps.

Passive cooling a relatively high performance card has always been a tall order of business but with the aid of a cool-running 55nm core, the Gigabyte HD 4850 1GB’s Multi Core heatsink provides some jaw-dropping performance. Even under some extreme conditions with a minimum of airflow, the relatively compact passive heatsink was able to disperse heat quite quickly. This along with the integrated HDMI connector and very good efficiency makes this a prime example of a perfect HTCP card.

There are however some underlying issues with the Gigabyte HD 4850 1GB that need to be discussed as well. First of all, the fact that the memory is operating at speeds below those of the 512MB card is highly disappointing. Granted, Gigabyte tried to make up for this by slightly increasing the core speed but all that does is rub some ice on an already-black eye. GamerHUD which allows you to tweak voltages and clock speeds still refuses to work properly in Vista x64 for some reason but that is nothing new. Even though Software and clock speeds are relatively minor, pricing is what proves to be this card’s undoing. Right now it retails for $210 to $230CAD before rebates, which means it competes with some HD 4870 cards which are frankly much, much more powerful.

Regardless of the strides they have made when it comes to spicing up their lineup, Gigabyte’s usual Achilles heel is still there: warranty length. To most enthusiasts and even many gamers out there, changing out their GPU after about a year is common practice so the 3-year warranty length of this card won’t pose too much of a stumbling point. Unfortunately for Gigabyte, there are plenty of people out there who feel that a 5+ year warranty adds to the value of a product and to them this card’s warranty just won’t cut it.

With awesome passive cooling results and excellent performance despite slightly lower memory clock speeds it seems like Gigabyte has a winner Indeed, looking around various retailers, gives us the distinct impression that this may be the fastest passively cooled card available right now. As we said before; the GV-R485MC-1GI will be a godsend to HTPC or silent PC users who want a bit of gaming power in addition to completely silent operation. Unfortunately, at this point it carries with it a price which is some $40 above many other HD 4850s and is within spitting distance of the HD 4870 512MB. How does this all play out in our eyes? It’s a Dam Good product that needs some serious price cuts.

Pros:

- Good performance
- Passive cooling that really works well
- Very efficient
- Completely silent
- Integrated HDMI connector

Cons:

- Price
- 3 year warranty
- GamerHUD still doesn’t work properly in Vista x64

source

·
Banned
4,340 Posts
They never stated what was the room temperature. Even with a case that has good airflow everything will change if it's 90-100F on a hot summer day.

·
Registered
197 Posts
it looks like a advertisement for a quiet HTPC video card, especially what they emphasize.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Quote:

Cons:

- Price
- 3 year warranty
- GamerHUD still doesn’t work properly in Vista x64

Shouldn't even be a con. 3 years is long enough for gpu's.

But yea, I wouldn't recommend this card to anyone...

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
did the above three posters even read the whole review?

Room temps wouldve been nice but doesnt really matter. GPU reviews are more of a comparison to other cards

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I thought 4850 was having problems keeping it's cool since launch day? I know I was around 90C before I got that fan trick working..

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
3 years seems short when many have lifetime or at least 5 years, and it shows that they expect a high rate of failures due to overheating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arekieh
View Post

did the above three posters even read the whole review?

Room temps wouldve been nice but doesnt really matter. GPU reviews are more of a comparison to other cards

A dead card doesn't perform too well :S

Quote:

Originally Posted by game
View Post

I thought 4850 was having problems keeping it's cool since launch day? I know I was around 90C before I got that fan trick working..

Just what I was thinking. They made up for it with a better cooler this time....buuut with no fans....

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Strap a pair of 80mm fans on that cooler and I bet it would run hella cool. Considering the 4850 uses DDR3 I thought that having a full gig onboard wouldn't amount to any performance increase. Looks like the RV770 likes lots of RAM no matter the type.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrienspawn View Post
3 years seems short when many have lifetime or at least 5 years, and it shows that they expect a high rate of failures due to overheating.
It seems you're not familiar with most graphics card AIB partners then

Just because the high profile brands such as evga (which doesn't sell ATI cards btw) and XFX have high profile doesn't mean "most" have a long warranty. They are the minority

P.S. I've never seen a 5 year warranty

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
it will be fine i had a passive 8500gt oc'd to the max and that never overheated, good job gigabyte there arnt enuf passive cards in the world. they probably put some decent tim on it for once

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
those are some impressive cooling numbers for a passive cooled card.

this would be an awesome card for a HTPC. and no capacitor squeal since its DVRM, so silent really means silent.

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el gappo View Post
it will be fine i had a passive 8500gt oc'd to the max and that never overheated, good job gigabyte there arnt enuf passive cards in the world. they probably put some decent tim on it for once
yeah.. i think an 8500GT runs a LITTLE cooler than a 4850.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As one of the silent community I can say that this is NOT a good card for silence as you literally need the airflow of a 900 to keep it cool. Low air flow silent build don't go well with this card/

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beanbagofdoom View Post
As one of the silent community I can say that this is NOT a good card for silence as you literally need the airflow of a 900 to keep it cool. Low air flow silent build don't go well with this card/
but aren't there virtually silent 120mm fans that you could use that would make no perceptible noise? most vid card fans aren't silent.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts