Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some senn HD 280s now and its time for a change, mainly because I get yelled at alot by for not being able to hear anything outside with them on. A feature I love but its starting to get me into trouble...So its time for a change.

Things im looking for in new headphones:
Open Backed - isolation is gettin me in trouble...

upgrade from HD280s
soundstage good enough for FPS's
I listen to classic rock and techno/trance(enough, but not overpowering bass please)

I'll buy/make an amp additionally if that helps quality

edit:
Actually I get paid tomorrow, So i guess i can budget around 200-250 bucks for headphone and amp.

·
Registered
707 Posts
What's your price range?
In before 555's and 595's.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
The AD700s are pretty awesome for electronica and FPS gaming. I'm not sure if they're are better/worse than HD280s though.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

The AD700s are pretty awesome for electronica and FPS gaming. I'm not sure if they're are better/worse than HD280s though.

How is the bass on them?
From what i've heard the ad700s and a700s are lacking there.

In general, I'm hoping for 100-125 for the headphones.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheeseofmanynames
View Post

How is the bass on them?
From what i've heard the ad700s and a700s are lacking there.

In general, I'm hoping for 100-125 for the headphones.

Whoever told you that was probably mistaking bass quality for quantity. Are you looking for headphones with boomy bass or tight bass. The Audio Technicas have very tight and precise bass. I think that's way better for gaming than boomy bass.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaronman
View Post

Whoever told you that was probably mistaking bass quality for quantity. Are you looking for headphones with boomy bass or tight bass. The Audio Technicas have very tight and precise bass. I think that's way better for gaming than boomy bass.

I really only have time for gaming about a quarter of the time once classes start up again. The rest of the time im listing to music, classic rock 3/4s and techno/trance stuff the rest.

I am looking for some bass, but not to the point wheres its overpowering and muddy.

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheeseofmanynames
View Post

I really only have time for gaming about a quarter of the time once classes start up again. The rest of the time im listing to music, classic rock 3/4s and techno/trance stuff the rest.

I am looking for some bass, but not to the point wheres its overpowering and muddy.

Well I've only been able to hear the AD700s for a small chunk of time, but I have heard quite a bit from the A700s and I they sound pretty similar. The bass seems a little more natural (emphasis on little) on the AD700 but both have fantastic, tight bass.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a good pair to consider.

Any other headphones i should consider?

·
Taking it Easy
4,114 Posts
If you can spring for more expensive headphones, then Senn HD 595 is a great set. However for the price and your needs I think the AD700s are a perfect match.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see that the ad700s are $65 refurbed from a place on amazon...compared to the hd 595s at around $150 refurbed at dakmart.

Does anyone have any knowledge of HD280s vs HD595s vs AD700?

·
Something witty
2,400 Posts
I've got the HD280's and my HD555's sound great, but you aren't going to find many phones that have the same quality/quantity of bass as the HD280.
I use my HD280's for drumming mostly but I've A/B'd both sets and I found the 280's sound to be much flatter sounding overall but with stronger bass response(the 555's are no slouch either though), probably due to the closed nature of the casing.

You can find 555's for pretty cheap if you look around.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually I get paid tomorrow, So i guess i can budget around 200-250 bucks for headphone and amp.

·
Something witty
2,400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thecheeseofmanynames View Post
You might be better off saving until you have more like $500 that way you can get some good headphones and a great amp.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sadly I don't think i can justify that much on headphones/amp with my current rate of income.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ended up deciding on AKG k601s - 210 alone...So much for saving up...food is optional

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I still love my HD280s. Besides, blocking out office noise ftw!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NITRO1250
View Post

I still love my HD280s. Besides, blocking out office noise ftw!

Yeah I really like their isolation...but everyone else trying to talk to me, not so much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts