Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed Ubuntu 64bit prob 4 times now going with a few different ways to try to get my graphic drivers working. My problem is when i install the ati drivers and reboot the screen only works till login comes then it goes black... I have Dvi to Dvi and cant seem to find any solution on Google...

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
try disabling compiz on bootup. I know I have had trouble with ATI and compiz. MEtacity might work better.

EDIT: once you log in you can open a terminal with alt-f2. from there you are still blind of course, so type in: $metacity --replace

of course, the $ is not typed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so maybe i should of also added alt +f2 does show up? does the change the problem
Also from what you said above other port is yellow the one im on now is white.. really dont know the difference
EDIT>Right now none i have the fresh installation and didnt install any yet but i was using 9.2.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxlor
View Post

Ok so maybe i should of also added alt +f2 does show up? does the change the problem

After the screen goes black you have succesfully logged in. alt-f2 brings up a terminal. I know you cant see the terminal, but type metacity --replace. if that does not work you should try a different ATI driver. there are such drivers as: fglrx and radeonhd. try a different driver if that does not work.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxlor
View Post

Alt+f2 DOES SHOW UP But im on fglrx for my driver does radeonhd make a huge dif?

for that card, yes. the newer cards supposedly benefit from the radeonhd driver more. try that, if that doesn't work im not sure how to help you.

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Radeonhd only support 2D and no Crossfire, meaning only "half" your card will work and with only basic 2D functionality. Use the latest fglrx version instead. How are you installing the drivers?

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

Installing the "ATI way" usually works best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts