Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that the AMD rabid fanboys like Raghu78 don't mention is this.

The 7970/7950 has been out for 6 months. It's taken AMD this long to release a driver that simply trades blows with the 680/670.

The 680/670 has been out two months.

Perhaps Nvidia has already optimized the driver for 680 but it's very doubtful. Next batch of drivers may bring the 680 back on top.

Either way, it's good to see them actually fighting over the top spot. As consumers, we benefit.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

One thing to keep in mind that the AMD rabid fanboys like Raghu78 don't mention is this.
The 7970/7950 has been out for 6 months. It's taken AMD this long to release a driver that simply trades blows with the 680/670.
We know nVIDIA tends to release more polished drivers from a start. AMD takes a bit to catch up, but they do.

Just as an example, the HD6950 was consistently a 10% behind HD5870 at launch. Right now it comes a good 10% faster in most occasions.

If you just game, the 670 is better for the sole fact that it eats less power while only being a bit slower.

If you do anything that requieres the use of OpenCL, the HD7970 is consistently a much better card.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Don't know where people like to make the argument that power consumption really matters. The 7970 trades blows with the 680, typically surpassing it too.

Sent from a newdel from canoodle.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
Quote:

Perhaps Nvidia has already optimized the driver for 680 but it's very doubtful. Next batch of drivers may bring the 680 back on top.
Either way, it's good to see them actually fighting over the top spot. As consumers, we benefit.
Its extremely difficult for you to show restraint i guess. Next thing you are going to be telling is its amd's fault for having released their HD 7900 cards before the GTX 600 cards. This truly is a case of sour grapes. And FYI the GTX 680 launched on March 22, 2012. Its been out for 3 months. HD 7970 launched on Dec 22, 2011 with retail availability on Jan 9th, 2012. Thats a 2.5 month gap between the products availability. I really am not surprised by this response from a Nvidia GTX 670 user.

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

Quote:

Its extremely difficult for you to show restraint i guess. Next thing you are going to be telling is its amd's fault for having released their HD 7900 cards before the GTX 600 cards. This truly is a case of sour grapes. And FYI the GTX 680 launched on March 22, 2012. Its been out for 3 months. HD 7970 launched on Dec 22, 2011 with retail availability on Jan 9th, 2012. Thats a 2.5 month gap between the products availability. I really am not surprised by this response from a Nvidia GTX 670 user.
How old are you, 12?

You jump into every thread with 7970/680 in it to make sure your opinion is prominent yet you fail to give the same respect to others. You need to either grow up or stop being paid by amd for spouting your nonsense.

I'll buy the best product at the time that's why I have a 670. I don't have some sort of irrational loyalty to any company like you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsM6S View Post

Quote:

Its extremely difficult for you to show restraint i guess.
Honestly man, you really should look in the mirror.
Sigging this.
lachen.gif

·
Banned
575 Posts
Quote:

How old are you, 12?
You jump into every thread with 7970/680 in it to make sure your opinion is prominent yet you fail to give the same respect to others. You need to either grow up or stop being paid by amd for spouting your nonsense.
I'll buy the best product at the time that's why I have a 670. I don't have some sort of irrational loyalty to any company like you.
I know who he is and have even exposed his true identity but a certain mod keeps deleting my post and sending me warnings. Lets put it this way, amd fanboy is an understatement with this guy, its more like an amd marketing pr guy or something. All one has to do is look up his post's and see how he constantly post the same thing over and over and over again like a broken BOT or something.

Guess I better be quiet though, dont wanna make his "moderator friend" unhappy.
wink.gif

·
Overclocked
3,942 Posts
Quote:

^^ This.
-
I don't trust getting a card that is solely driver limited. It took AMD almost 6 months to match a GTX 680 performance.
I'll be very unhappy if I encountered a bug and waited 6 months for it to get fixed, that sucks
rolleyes.gif

·
Retired but not dead!
7,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobsM6S View Post

I know who he is and have even exposed his true identity but a certain mod keeps deleting my post and sending me warnings. Lets put it this way, amd fanboy is an understatement with this guy, its more like an amd marketing pr guy or something. All one has to do is look up his post's and see how he constantly post the same thing over and over and over again like a broken BOT or something.
Guess I better be quiet though, dont wanna make his "moderator friend" unhappy.
wink.gif
Perhaps it's time a different moderator with fresh eyes to take a look at the situation then.

It's one thing to post your opinion and move on. Another to stick around arguing that amd is better every chance he can.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Either way, once GK110 arrives ati will be left for dust for mainstream and high end.

Lets not forget nvidia still offer the highest performing card.. the gtx 690,
Quote:

How old are you, 12?
This.

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
Quote:

How old are you, 12?
I have used Nvidia cards in the past. At first Geforce 4 ti 4200, Geforce FX 5800, Geforce 7950 GT. Now i have a HD 6950. In my opinion the HD 7970 is better than GTX 680 and the HD 7950 better than GTX 670. You can disagree . But getting into accusations reflect poorly on yourself. There is enough evidence on the web that the HD 7970 is really the better card. It depends on what games you look for while evaluating the high end cards. I base it on the games which are very demanding and which are difficult to run at 60 fps at 1600p. In my opinion beyond 60 fps playability differences are difficult to ascertain. Here are a few games in the last 12 months which are demanding - BF3, Crysis 2, Alan Wake, Witcher 2 / Witcher 2 EE, Anno 2070, Shogun 2, Batman AC, Dirt Showdown. All of these games are demanding. From older games Crysis Warhead and Metro 2033 are demanding. HD 7970 wins majority of these games and wins big. Nvidia's only clear win in this list is Shogun 2. Even Batman AC which runs faster on GTX 680 with FXAA is not clearly faster with 8X MSAA. BF3 is close enough to tie. The rest AMD wins.

FYI here are certain reviews

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/54954-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review-21.html

"While we may have seen this all before from other pre-overclocked HD 7970 cards, under no circumstance should you overlook the GHz Edition. Performance per watt has certainly taken a step in the right direction, AMD's Boost works when it has to and pricing is actually quite fair considering its framerate advantage at higher detail settings. In our opinion and with all other things being equal, the HD 7970 GHz Edition is the card to have for ultra high resolution gaming"

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-GHz-Edition-Review-Taking-GTX-680/Overclocking-and-Con

"I found it pretty interesting how the performance differences played out. NVIDIA's GTX 680 seemed to win at the lower resolutions of 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 most of the time, but fell behind at 2560x1600 and 5760x1080 regularly. While the added frame buffer on the AMD cards might have helped that, I really think it is just a difference in how the architectures are designed. And even though most gamers are on 1080p or lower resolutions, I would assume that gamers looking to spend ~$500 for a graphics card are planning for bigger screens (or more of them). "

"If you want the fastest single-GPU graphics card, then the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition is it. If you want a card that is both fast without running away with power consumption, the GTX 680 takes that angle"

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23150/11

"The Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition has indeed recaptured the single-GPU performance title for AMD; it's even faster than Zotac's GTX 680 AMP! Edition. And at $499.99, the 7970 GHz Edition is unambiguously a better value than the stock-clocked GeForce GTX 680. Everything seems to be going AMD's way-even our power consumption results turned out to be closer than expected"

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review-benchmark,3232-19.html

"AMD's driver team deserves to take this weekend off. Its beta Catalyst 12.7 build does stellar things to the performance of several games in our benchmark suite. No longer is Nvidia's GeForce GTX 670 faster than the Radeon HD 7970. And, in fact, these new drivers are largely responsible for the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition card outmaneuvering GeForce GTX 680 in most of the tests we ran."

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hardware.fr/articles/869-19/conclusion.html&usg=ALkJrhj1mqWOr8U0H8TorYs6h2vLQlpv3A

"This version of the Radeon HD 7970 should be available in early July for a price between € 470 and 500, a price / performance ratio similar to that of the original model and higher than the GeForce GTX 680, which is a good thing "

Here is how I see it. If you want perf / watt and are gaming at 1080p/1200p GTX 680 is an option . Otherwise get the HD 7970.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Quote:

I have used Nvidia cards in the past. At first Geforce 4 ti 4200, Geforce FX 5800, Geforce 7950 GT. Now i have a HD 6950. In my opinion the HD 7970 is better than GTX 680 and the HD 7950 better than GTX 670. You can disagree . But getting into accusations reflect poorly on yourself. There is enough evidence on the web that the HD 7970 is really the better card. It depends on what games you look for while evaluating the high end cards. I base it on the games which are very demanding and which are difficult to run at 60 fps at 1600p. In my opinion beyond 60 fps playability differences are difficult to ascertain. Here are a few games in the last 12 months which are demanding - BF3, Crysis 2, Alan Wake, Witcher 2 / Witcher 2 EE, Anno 2070, Shogun 2, Batman AC, Dirt Showdown. All of these games are demanding. From older games Crysis Warhead and Metro 2033 are demanding. HD 7970 wins majority of these games and wins big. Nvidia's only clear win in this list is Shogun 2. Even Batman AC which runs faster on GTX 680 with FXAA is not clearly faster with 8X MSAA. BF3 is close enough to tie. The rest AMD wins.
FYI here are certain reviews
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/54954-amd-radeon-hd-7970-3gb-ghz-edition-review-21.html
"While we may have seen this all before from other pre-overclocked HD 7970 cards, under no circumstance should you overlook the GHz Edition. Performance per watt has certainly taken a step in the right direction, AMD's Boost works when it has to and pricing is actually quite fair considering its framerate advantage at higher detail settings. In our opinion and with all other things being equal, the HD 7970 GHz Edition is the card to have for ultra high resolution gaming"
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-HD-7970-3GB-GHz-Edition-Review-Taking-GTX-680/Overclocking-and-Con
"I found it pretty interesting how the performance differences played out. NVIDIA's GTX 680 seemed to win at the lower resolutions of 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 most of the time, but fell behind at 2560x1600 and 5760x1080 regularly. While the added frame buffer on the AMD cards might have helped that, I really think it is just a difference in how the architectures are designed. And even though most gamers are on 1080p or lower resolutions, I would assume that gamers looking to spend ~$500 for a graphics card are planning for bigger screens (or more of them). "
"If you want the fastest single-GPU graphics card, then the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition is it. If you want a card that is both fast without running away with power consumption, the GTX 680 takes that angle"
http://techreport.com/articles.x/23150/11
"The Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition has indeed recaptured the single-GPU performance title for AMD; it's even faster than Zotac's GTX 680 AMP! Edition. And at $499.99, the 7970 GHz Edition is unambiguously a better value than the stock-clocked GeForce GTX 680. Everything seems to be going AMD's way-even our power consumption results turned out to be closer than expected"
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-edition-review-benchmark,3232-19.html
"AMD's driver team deserves to take this weekend off. Its beta Catalyst 12.7 build does stellar things to the performance of several games in our benchmark suite. No longer is Nvidia's GeForce GTX 670 faster than the Radeon HD 7970. And, in fact, these new drivers are largely responsible for the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition card outmaneuvering GeForce GTX 680 in most of the tests we ran."
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.hardware.fr/articles/869-19/conclusion.html&usg=ALkJrhj1mqWOr8U0H8TorYs6h2vLQlpv3A
"This version of the Radeon HD 7970 should be available in early July for a price between € 470 and 500, a price / performance ratio similar to that of the original model and higher than the GeForce GTX 680, which is a good thing "
Here is how I see it. If you want perf / watt and are gaming at 1080p/1200p GTX 680 is an option . Otherwise get the HD 7970.
3 Things I always can be assured that I will see whenever you post anything..............

1. A great wall of text.
2. Your usual amd marketing dribble.
3. The same links and same over played referrences being used repeatedly over and over again.

Honestly, I have had conversations in the past with BOT'S who had better variety and dare I say more personality.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
The more I read all these post the more I laugh and go
doh.gif
All the benchmarks provided are based on stock or mild oc. Nobody knows what will the card you get will overclock like. I got a GTX 670 that can do 1320mhz stable and Im sure it will be as fast or faster than a GTX 680 or the 7970 Giga Edition. Its all luck of the draw with the new cards. Buy what ever card you like better and oc the hell out of it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post

The more I read all these post the more I laugh and go
doh.gif
All the benchmarks provided are based on stock or mild oc. Nobody knows what will the card you get will overclock like. I got a GTX 670 that can do 1320mhz stable and Im sure it will be as fast or faster than a GTX 680 or the 7970 Giga Edition. Its all luck of the draw with the new cards. Buy what ever card you like better and oc the hell out of it.
I think it's best to start with the faster card at stock clocks, then whatever you get from overclocking is a bonus. Overclocking performance is not guaranteed even if a lot of people are running 7970/50s at 1100 or 1200+ or a lot of GTX670s at 1300. It's not a guarantee yours will do the same.

Also, its probably better to compare a 7970 to a 680

·
Registered
148 Posts
If i remember,i saw a review saying that the 680 was able to clock over 2GHZ...so much ATI supporters here though
I have been using 8800GT HD4870 CF GTX295 GTX560,seems to be jumping between the levels huhh
biggrin.gif

Anyhow,so far from what i can see nvidia has always performed pretty well with their cards and drivers were quite good compared to ATI which they usually push performance card without even really release proper drivers.

So far,i've been using so many generations of nvidia,i can say previously before HD4870 ATI were just a junk or crap until they have raised from GDDR4 to GDDR5 lol.
Anyways, can't really decide the current cards since i have missed 5000 series and 6000 series.Been living in GTX295 until this year i got my GTX560.
Somehow,benchmarks says that HD7970 performs better than the nvidia cards,but its just the OC potential anyways.The GHZ version is nothing other than a OC-ed version of a 7970.

But,well i am still deciding GTX670 or HD7970
Cheers

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skawster View Post

If you could shell out another 20$ and get a Asus DCII, the normal version not the TOP, that would be great considering that the EVGA GTX 670 you are looking to buy uses the short PCB while the DCII uses the 680's PCB and the cooler is pretty quiet. Or if EVGA is a must you could get the GTX 670 FTW although it uses the reference cooler which is sub-par. This is all presuming that you can strech out another 20 bucks...
It is the cooler for the 680, so it is actually not sub par
wink.gif

·
Banned
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by error0024 View Post

If i remember,i saw a review saying that the 680 was able to clock over 2GHZ...
Thats only under very special cooling with a volt modded PCB. Your not gonna get 2ghz out of a GTX 680 with your typical user, especially on air.

·
Retired Moderation
10,672 Posts
@OP - you mentioned that you're on a budget, for $130 difference in your country you'll be more than satisfied with the GTX 670. In your case it's definitely the most bang for your buck and will get the job more than accomplished.

The 7970 does offer a little bit more performance than the 7970. It's up to you if that extra performance is worth it when the 670 can easily take care of your needs. The GTX 670 gets very close to 680 performance. When both are overclocked the 670 even closes the gap further.

Both cards are great cards don't let false biased advice fool you into thinking one is inferior and the other is superior. It's not true.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.