Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some advice...I just got a 200GB Caviar SATA drive and am getting ready to do in essence a clean build tomorrow. Would I be doing the right thing to take my current 40GB ATA and set it up as a slave? I was reading a post started by Horspowr89 and it sounds like I can but I want to make sure before I jack something up. I would like to not lose the data on my current drive and don't want to burn it to media if I don't have to.

Also, I have a new DVD burner that I am putting in. My existing drives are a CD reader and a CD R/W drive. I am thinking to keep the reader & scrap the R/W. How should I hook them up? Should I have them on the same cable in a master/slave combo or should I put one on as master with the above HD as the slave and put the new DVD drive on a seperate line? I had read in another thread where it was recommended to share one ATA line between a master HD and a slave optical for performance gains given the planned use. I do not copy large media so I am not really concerned...just want to get as much insight as possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You should have no problem hooking the 40 up as a slave and then installing the operating system on the 200. To be safe, however, I would do the 200 first, and then after it's set up connect the 40 as a slave and boot up again.

As for the optical, it depends on the speeds. I just did the same thing but I scrapped the reader for the R/W cause the R/W was more expensive and it was also faster. (52X compared to 46X) Mmm, I found it just fine to connect the two drives on 1 IDE cable, although others might tell you to put the HDD's as masters and the two optical drives as slaves under them. I don't know if this will work in your case and I didn't like it that way because I had to run cables all over the place.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bindusar

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
if u mean clean new build as in new hardware...your gunna really want to reinstall everything. but u can hook up that 40g as a slave, and itll just pop up then set the drive volume and should work.
and u want to keep the cdrw and scap the reader...it has no use to u. set the dvd to master and the rw to slave, or better yet put them on seperate channels so u can use them at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...I'll do the clean install first as you suggested Zokus and get everything up before introducing the old drive.

Adas, I think Iwill have the opticals on seperate lines and have the 40GB as a slave on one of them.

As the new drive is SATA it's on an entirely seperate line than the old HD and the otpticals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts