Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
at the moment I am playing with a Sapphire HD3850(256MB). Vmod is already done(as always
) but I thought about a cap mod.

First of all there are simply 2 caps missing, one for VMem and one for the GPU. As you can see there should be at least one cap per phase, but there are just 3 of them

No big deal, I'll have the exact same caps here and will add them.

Now the part I'm not completely sure about. As you can see there are 4 empty pads, this is standard on all HD3850's and even HD4850's in reference design.
Looking at the PCB design that would be another cap for each phase(I've colored the related parts on the pic).
Regarding the construction type(empty pad) they at least planned to use caps like this:
http://www.newark.com/productimages/...8187406-40.jpg

What do you think, shall I try to get such caps or can I go with those which are already on the card, so that I have simply 2 per phase instead of one.
Do you think I should get caps with same values(2.5V/820µF) if I'll choose the flat rectangular ones?
LL
LL

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
I would just put regular caps there. Don't think it would be worth the $$$ to order the flat surface mount ones. I think they are typically lower ESR, but I don't think you'll notice on these cards.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzaMan View Post
[...]but I don't think you'll notice on these cards.
Oh, you will. I've seen many guys doing cap mods on HD3870 cards(which are basically the same) and they achieved noticeable benefits - that's just how I got the idea

To start with I will add caps, later they'll get replaced probably.

Do you think I should add caps of a different construction type on the rectangular empty pads?

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
Oh, you will. I've seen many guys doing cap mods on HD3870 cards(which are basically the same) and they achieved noticeable benefits - that's just how I got the idea

To start with I will add caps, later they'll get replaced probably.

Do you think I should add caps of a different construction type on the rectangular empty pads?
I do then I get the chance.

Looks like I'm capping mine here soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some testing today. As a first step I've added the 2 missing caps as shown in the first pic of the start post.

Before doing so the card topped out at 1053/1053MHz(ATT) and 1032/1044MHz(3DM01)

This is what it can do now with same voltage and settings
:

Already a nice and easy improvement. By replacing caps or adding new ones some more MHz should be possible.

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
Nicely done. I like seeing before and after tests like that.

·
PC Evangelist
46,977 Posts
For low resolutions its should be a beasty card.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts