Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Code Monkey
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, basically, I'm a noob when it comes to soldering, and numerous other things

I want to get one of these http://www.watercoolingshop.co.uk/20...ite_AQHKW.aspx
To display system specs, new email notifications, now playing, basically whatever I want, etc.
I understand that this can connect through parallel, and USB too. And can work through a program (LCD something or other, I forgot)
This would likely go in a 5.25" bay in my sigrig. Although I might put it underneath my monitor.

I can't find a tutorial for idiots like myself. Is there anyone here who'#s done this who can point me towards a tutorial? Really want to do this, it seems cheaper than buying a fan controller that has a temperature readout in it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
HD44780 controlled displays are cheap and plentiful, but require a parallel port. You wont be able to hook that up to USB without additional circuitry.

There are devices called 'backpacks' that will connect to your 44780 display and give you a serial port or USB to control it with. this is much easier than mucking with the 44780 directly.

check this: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...roducts_id=258

Something like that might be something you could be interested in.

·
Code Monkey
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, with this "backpack", all I'd need to do is plug that into the display, and then connect up a parallel port?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markeh View Post
So, with this "backpack", all I'd need to do is plug that into the display, and then connect up a parallel port?
The one dext3r linked to outputs in UART, which I believe is not compatible with USB, so you can't just hook it up. I spent a few mins trying to find a suitable adapter, but all I could find are DIY microcontroller kits. They aren't hard to do with the right guides, but some technical skill is required. I have a good amount of background with microcontroller, so I might be a little biased on the skill needed. Someone else might know of something that would work with a simple hookup, but I don't see an easy way at the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts