Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU, but don't want to spend much more than £80.

I already have a Sapphire Radeon HD4830 that came with my desktop and want to know whether I will get better performance if I just get another and crossfire it. Also, the card is only £40 on amazon at the moment; which is well within my budget.
smile.gif

I'm still using the same (unupgraded) desktop I bought from cyberpower ages ago, so I'm probably really behind current technology
redface.gif

Would it make more sense to buy a completely different card or just double up and crossfire the card I have now?
confused.gif

Thanks in advance,
biggrin.gif

EDIT: My rig is in the signature now. Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Upgrade to a faster single GPU card but save up until you have enough for a 560 Ti or 6950.

• Rep+
Reactions: ZaNgEtZu56

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the grand scheme of things buying a new card is the best option.

However having said that 4830 x fired are reasonably powerful and will probably give you better performance than anything else in your budget.

Plus that way you can STILL start saving your money for a big updgrade down the road (mobo cpu etc)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It would make sense to do nothing, save up and upgrade the whole rig.

• Rep+
Reactions: ZaNgEtZu56

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lets hope I get lots of money at Christmas >_>

So, if upgrading the whole pc is the best way to go, how much will it cost for a decent improvement? What sort of things should I focus on upgrading and spend the most on? (Processor/GPU/etc.)

·
Premium Member
14,347 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whitingnick
View Post

Your rig isn't too bad actually. I'd look to upgrade your RAM to 4GB and your video card first. The GTX 460's are nice cards and pretty cheap-- and RAM is super cheap right now too.

2x2=4 last time I checked

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
If your sig is correct, you can't Crossfire. Better single GPU all the way.

Also, you could grab a 990/AM3+ board and be ready for BD, you could sell your current board to help lesson the wallet shock, and your current system would be compatible (minus the DDR2).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.