Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble getting any sort of sound to output over HDMI from my Palit HD4870x2. I've done tons of Searches but couldn't find anything like it. I can get video output just fine and it looks great on my Mitsubishi HC1500U Projector running 720P onto an 80" screen. The thing is there's no sound. I'm sure its just a setting somewhere but I can find it under Audio in Control panel. Its annoying. I have this great 7.1 Surround Sound System. Onkyo TrueHD... Sounds superb on my PS3, Deadspace sounds scare the piss outta me. I can include a picture of my Sound Devices screen if that helps.. maybe something is missing I don't know. I have no "Unknown Hardware" in device manager.

I've tried changing the sound output to everything in the list and even though the little green bars move I can't get any sound over HDMI... The only thing that I find strange is CCC reports my HDMI hookup to my receiver as "clone." Could it possibly be not sending audio because it thinks its just another monitor? IF so How can I fix this?

·
Banned
930 Posts
i'm not really sure, i haven't tried using that feature since my monitor only has DVI and the old VGA connectors.

how are your cables connected? if you just have one cable going from your vid card to your projector, does the projector have a way to split the sound to your receiver? or do you have one HDMI cable going to the projector and one to the receiver?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The HDMI Cable is going from my Video Card to my Receiver, and From my Receiver to my projector. My AVR is an Onkyo TSXR-605. I get picture Fine. Actually I just got it to Display my Receiver name in CCC. And I installed the realtek HDMI sound drivers. In Sound devices it shows up as working and the little green bar moves. It even lets me choose 7.1 Surround sound and test it in properties (even though no sound comes out).On my receiver display it says HDMI LPCM PXII. But I'm not getting any sound output. Only Picture.

I took this Picture of My Projector screen while I was typing this Post:

·
Banned
930 Posts
well it looks like the sound is at least being "generated" by your computer. but it's just not either getting to your receiver or your receiver isn't able to handle it properly for some reason.

have you tried putting the cable in a different port on the receiver? i've never had a receiver with HDMI ports, so i don't know how it selects it, but i'm assuming you can manually select which HDMI port you want it to use as the input. have you tried running through all the options available to you for your receiver? maybe if you have a dvd player you can hook up to that same HDMI port on the receiver and see what happens or notice anything different.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its got 2 HDMI inputs and they both work fine when connected to my PS3. I guess the last thing to try is hook it up via Fiber Optic audio cable. That carries 7.1 as well. I have to move my PC closer to my receiver though. My Fiber Optic Audio cable is only like 4 feet long. Oh and yes I can select which "input" connects to which corresponding "channel." As well as making sure I'm not Passing the Audio through.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I know that the newer Nvidia cards which support HDMI (9800 GTX, GTX 260, GTX 280) had an audio cable which connected from the card to the motherboard/sound card to transfer audio to HDMI... dunno about ATI though

·
Banned
930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeigiSama
View Post

I submitted a Ticket over at ATI...

i'd be interested in what they have to say. it's really odd that it doesn't work, but then again, when do computers ever do what they're told?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabermetrics
View Post

I know that the newer Nvidia cards which support HDMI (9800 GTX, GTX 260, GTX 280) had an audio cable which connected from the card to the motherboard/sound card to transfer audio to HDMI... dunno about ATI though

The Newer Radeons Boast the ability to send Loss less audio Over HDMI using the DVI to HDMI adapter they come with. No need for a separate cable because HDMI carries HD Video and Audio.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have the solution!!!! Had exactly the same problem myself, but solved it in a funny way....

You need to disable all the other sound outputs, choosing, "do not use this device".
Leave the x2 sound output device as the only one in use. Then reboot, (possibly no need) and the problem should be solved!

PM for more detailed description....

It's a conflict between the radeon audio contoller and the onboard one. Try it, almost sure it will work!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Didn't work. Thanks for trying though. So far you were mor helpful than ATI support. All the did was forward a link pertaining to no sound over HDMI on the 2400 with catalyst 7.8... <.< t(-.-t) you for not reading the complaint ATI support. So far they've been about as supportive as a Double D bra on "Nearly A" boobies.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
I remember this being a bit tricky with a 4850, but I did get sound working via a DVI to HDMI connection directly to a HDTV. No specifics, just fiddled around in menus for about 10 minutes and got things working.

It is possible, I will update you if I remember.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wouldn't be the first time I double clicked a one button mouse ^^

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got sound working fine using a Fiber optic cable. Although I screwed up a setting in my AVR and now I get sound and no picture from my Cable box... Just wish I knew what I did to make it do that...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun View Post
I remember this being a bit tricky with a 4850, but I did get sound working via a DVI to HDMI connection directly to a HDTV. No specifics, just fiddled around in menus for about 10 minutes and got things working.

It is possible, I will update you if I remember.
Most people are able to get it working when hooked directly up to an HDTV but who wants stereo sound when you can have 7.1? Besides projectors like mine don't have speakers... in fact most projectors don't...

·
Banned
930 Posts
my hdtv has an optical audio out, so that's what i hook up to my reciever to get surround sound off my cable box. althought my cable box does have an audio out as well, for some reason it doesn't work and i'm not that picky.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts