Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never call myself an audiophile, i just don't care enough. But, I had a little dough to spend and I thought I would invest in a nice set of headphones, I had HD485's at the time. So, I read up and the HD555's stood out, so I ordered my pair. Plugged them in and....I'm speechless, so much better than I ever dreamed of hearing. I don't know enough of audio to do a full review, but, darn these these are awesome. I know what you audiophiles are saying, what a nubcake, get an amp they sound much better, but i don't care. In my own opinion, these things rule. I just thought I'd share this.

If you have the money, they are worth every penny, and thats coming form somebody who doesn't care about audio much.

Edit.....Dont think I will EVER use my x-5300's again

2nd Edit.....LOL, my parents are very happy as well, they dont have to hear my bass anymore.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
What a nubcake, get an amp they sound much better.

j/k lol, how much were they?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modki View Post
What a nubcake, get an amp they sound much better.

j/k lol, how much were they?
109 @ the egg

Really, I know there are people out there like me who are thinking of buying a decent set of headphones, they really are as good as "they" say they are.

·
Registered
660 Posts
x-5300s? are you talking about the speaks? i have the e5300 from logitech...is this what you're talking about? awesome btw, my mom is a music major and she bought those headphones for herself some time ago - loves them too! good find.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Well I rarely use headphones to listen to music. I have a gaming headset that has fairly decent sound but nothing awe-inspiring. Still would like a nice light set for the Zune. $109 though.... steep.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by blade19 View Post
x-5300s? are you talking about the speaks? i have the e5300 from logitech...is this what you're talking about? awesome btw, my mom is a music major and she bought those headphones for herself some time ago - loves them too! good find.
yeah, the e5300's, I thought they had an x in the name somewhere. I really honestly beleive I will never use them again. Unless, if I want to hear my music when taking a shower, 3 rooms away from my room.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modki View Post
Well I rarely use headphones to listen to music. I have a gaming headset that has fairly decent sound but nothing awe-inspiring. Still would like a nice light set for the Zune. $109 though.... steep.
sorry for the double post.

But, I had the same thoughts, they really are "that" good. They leave me in shock how awesome these things are. The bass these things make is nothing short of spectacular.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I went from some sony pos 5$ cans to the senn 555's... It was like a night to day difference. Now I just need to pick up a good sound card... I highly recommend this set of cans for 2 reasons. First is sound quality and second is comfort. I always wear headphones; I don't even have speakers. This is the area that the senn's beat its opponent, the icemats.

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
Steps to enjoy your HD555 even more
1. burn-in, need hours of continuous playback so that your HD555 will show it's true power
2. Buy a headphone amp, they're not necessarily expensive (ie:behringer mini headphone amp)
3. Mod your X-fi

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yup, good stuff man.

I've been wanting these cans for a while now, and with some cash coming my way very soon, I may order up. I might even have some extra cash for a decent amp.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ.BigBear View Post
Steps to enjoy your HD555 even more
1. burn-in, need hours of continuous playback so that your HD555 will show it's true power
2. Buy a headphone amp, they're not necessarily expensive (ie:behringer mini headphone amp)
3. Mod your X-fi
Burn-in is real? It makes a difference? So, I'll just keep them on party shuffle all night then.

Edit---I'm far from an audiophile and have no general clue what an amp is.....Why do I want one? What do they do?. And, how much $$$?

Thanks

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Intervention
View Post

Burn-in is real? It makes a difference? So, I'll just keep them on party shuffle all night then.

Edit---I'm far from an audiophile and have no general clue what an amp is.....Why do I want one? What do they do?. And, how much $$$?

Thanks

It IS real, but not something that would matter by alot.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks

Well, a headphone amp is your typical audio amplifier, yet designed to power headphones. Some typical pluses are much improved bass, better soundstage and imaging (where things sound like they are, think of it like the 3d positioning of all the instruments).

Just as you probably would not plug speakers straight into your CD player, the same goes for a headphone amp. It boosts output power, but does wonders for sound quality, especially in headphones.

Cost: that'll vary greatly. the biggest thing you'll have to decide on is a portable (battery powered amp) or a home (AC-powered) amp. You really can find nice amps for almost any budget, starting at about $50. Soloz has an excellent review of several portable headphone amps, it's a sticky in this section.

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
thx chipp.

yeah, soloz sticky thread has all the review u need about headphone amp.
but, u can just use Behringers Miniamp, they don't cost u that much ($49 i think),
http://www.behringer.com/AMP800/index.cfm?lang=eng
and the Behringer portable/microamp about $30
http://www.behringer.com/HA400/index.cfm?lang=eng

but for HD555 the difference is not that far between using amps or not, unlike HD595.
but seriously... i like ATH-A900 better, a very comfortable headphone with strong bass (not necessarily monsterous) which is a good all-arounder (Music TV Gaming) and doesn't necessarily need an amp.

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Just wondering, where do you guys keep your bass / treble settings for your 555's?

what do u mean by that?
if it's to adjust your treble and bass, i suggest using equalizer. depends on which type of music u like the most.
in contrary to most of the ppl that don't use equalizer presets(aka flat equalizer), i do use different kind of presets to each type of music.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Thanks

Yeah, "burn-in" does make a difference, but as stated, it's not huge. You can just listen to the headphones as usual and they will improve over time; I think it's something like 200 hours or so for full "burn-in"...

An amp will improve bass, clarity, etc and generally allow you to maximise the headphones capability, giving you their absolute best. It's not totally necessary as most audio outputs have enough power to get the headphones sounding just fine, but it will improve quality never-the-less. They can easily be as (or more) expensive as the headphones themselves though, so it's not for everybody and if you feel your headphones are already giving you great sound there may be no good reason to get an amp at all.

Highly-Annoyed

·
Retired Enthusiast
3,405 Posts
that's why i don't think u should need an extra expensive amp, just an ordinary mini or portable amp will do just fine, it's not like u're using a DJ/Monitoring Headphone anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blade19
View Post

Quote:

View Post

yeah, the e5300's, I thought they had an x in the name somewhere. I really honestly beleive I will never use them again. Unless, if I want to hear my music when taking a shower, 3 rooms away from my room.

As far as I know, I have the Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 speakers myself, and I've never heard nor seen anything called the X-5300 or E5300.

Sorry I just had to post this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts