Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a TV That I want to have audio out the speakers of that TV.

It is connected through a DVI in the back of my computer and in the other end of the cord there is a HDMI that is connected to my TV.

Video Card is MSI radeon HD5970, so it doesnt have a native HDMI output.

In my sound options "ATI DP Output" says it is not connected. do I need a driver for this?

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
DVI does not transfer AUDIO, just Video mate.

If you want AUDIO you would need a real HDMI output from ur card, which I think 5970 doesn't provide at least on my Sapphire.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I bought the card used, and the only thing that he sent me was the card (which we agreed upon)

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pangeltveit
View Post

1. Im not in US

2. Support the ATI Radeon HD 5800, HD 5700, HD 4800, HD 4600, HD 4300, HD 3800, HD 3600 & HD 3400 models

Best bet is prolly to contact MSI, other companies have handed them out on here before. Plus there's now way to know whether or not they've even enabled it on the card.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by fshizl
View Post

i guarantee it will work.. cause its the same one i got...

where you located?

Norway

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren9
View Post

Best bet is prolly to contact MSI, other companies have handed them out on here before. Plus there's now way to know whether or not they've even enabled it on the card.

Ill send them a E-mail

Although, dont like that I have to buy a new HDMI cord

Edit: what should I write in the E-mail? since I bought it 2nd hand

·
PC Enthusiast
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does the Adapter have that is so special that other adapters dont have?

I dont use an adapter atm, what I use is a Cord that has DVI in one end and HDMI in the other. it has all the connector pins in the DVI end as the DVI end on the adapter.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
That works too but is it an HDMI cable or DVI cable? If it's an HDMI cable that has DVI output for stuff that can only use DVI then it should work.. just plug it in and go to the volume control options (right click sound thingie) and then enable Speakers thing (or just try all of them no idea what would work for you). I don't know how to explain this but I had 1 full hdmi > hdmi cable.. and since 5970 only supports DVI and DP I used a DVI > HDMI cable (5970 DVI > TV HDMI) and it worked.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
What does the Adapter have that is so special that other adapters dont have?

I dont use an adapter atm, what I use is a Cord that has DVI in one end and HDMI in the other. it has all the connector pins in the DVI end as the DVI end on the adapter.
DVI has no sound and HDMI sound and video are sent in seperate channels , a standard DVI>HDMI connects the video component and leaves the HDMI sound unconnected. ATI hot-wire un-used DVI video connections with sound and send through DVI video channels, the adapter connects the hot-wired DVI video channel carrying sound to HDMI sound. Without it your sending sound out into video in, the card has jack sensing to prevent this and will only enable when the adapter is used and it knows its connected to a HDMI audio device.

·
Super Moderator
4,039 Posts
I used that adapter myself for audio to a TV with my 5970 and it worked great. It only works via the top DVI port on the card though, and you just need a DVI-HDMI adapter that has all the DVI pins. If you get a cheapo one without the extra pins, it won't work. Option 2 would be a DVI to HDMI cable as these have all the pins for audio and video usually. Hope this helps.

Edit: Here's a picture of the cable I use. Sorry for the poor cameraphone quality.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts