Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed linux ubuntu 12.10 yesterday and it is not as good as I thought it would be.

I moved from Windows to linux because I don't want to pay for an OS.

So far, the wireless adaptors disconnects every 10 minutes, and in Killing floor (settings "high") I get 20 fps in crowded areas with AMD's latest beta driver.

Is this common? Should I switch back to windows?

Btw I can run Killing floor maxed out on Windows at 60fps with GPU underclocked to 500mhz.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have the same issue with my wife's Rosewill wireless adapter. Some of them don't play well with Linux. AMD GPU's are also notorious for poor performance in Linux.

That said even on Nvidia, Killing Floor runs like crap for me in certain maps, most notably the newer pier map. Most of the time it's fine though, with the exception of some textures missing.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
13.8 Beta is a f up.

avoid!

Use 13.4 if your going closed source. Also turn off Vsync / Tear fre

also tried belkin,edimax,tp-link wireless, Intel / atheros / broadcom chipsets and never had any problems on my 3 builds. Then again i do use linux mint. Linux wireless is more stable these days than windows out of the box due to all the early problems

Never heard of rosewill wireless. Are they the same people that do the PSU's?
Did you download the official rosewill driver? remember windows is bloaty because it has everything under the sun, with linux you do have to install drivers quite often, people were having issues with Rosewill adapters in 2010 in ubuntu.

I think with a decent adapter there should be no problem.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

13.8 Beta is a f up.

avoid!

Use 13.4 if your going closed source. Also turn off Vsync / Tear fre

also tried belkin,edimax,tp-link wireless, atheros / broadcom chipsets and never had any problems on my 3 builds. Then again i do use linux mint.

Never hear of rosewill wireless , they look cheap and odd lol. Are they the same people that do the PSU's?

I think with a decent adapter there should be no problem
Rosewill is Newegg's in-house brand. And yeah, some adapters you'll have no issue with. I have a TP-Link adapter in my PC with an Atheros chipset. I've never had any issues with it.

·
: ( ) { : | : & } ; :
3,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post

Rosewill is Newegg's in-house brand. And yeah, some adapters you'll have no issue with. I have a TP-Link adapter in my PC with an Atheros chipset. I've never had any issues with it.
iirc the Rosewill's have Realtek in them, or at least mine did. And even though they have some troubles, my board's built in realtek wireless seems to be doing well.

OP might as well try the latest ubuntu 13.04

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLAWNOOB View Post

Well, time to install Win8
lol for trying so hard
rolleyes.gif

install 13.4 catalyst

i get 50 - 60fps on a A10-5800k APU @ 1080p High settings, which is about 10 times slower than your card !

Also KF is a fairly poor port in its openGL implementation its not and never will be as fast as its windows counterpart.. you can thank Tripwire for that
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

However im getting 170FPS on 13.4 in counter strike source with it all turned up, perhaps windows would be 230-250fps i dunno i don't use it. If total max FPS is your bag then for a least another year until it all matures your not going to be happy.

Also ubuntu isn't the best really.

Win 8 will suit you more
thumb.gif

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari8608 View Post

Why on earth would he do that?
Let's sit down and think for a moment.

I can't use Ubuntu because it has terrible GPU and wireless adaptor drivers.

What OS will have the best drivers and the best support? Of course an operating system that everybody uses.

Or, it would make more sense to switch to Mac OS X, which I never used before just for fun
thumb.gif

·
3,545 Posts
Could always try Zorin OS and install the 13.4 version of the proprietary driver.
Quote:

What OS will have the best drivers and the best support? Of course an operating system that everybody uses.
sometimes it's fun to do something challenging and out of the ordinary for a change
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Quote:

Or, it would make more sense to switch to Mac OS X, which I never used before just for fun
thumb.gif
Installing OS X as a means of learning and playing around is understandable. I tried that in high school, and it was an interesting project for a minute.

OS X is not a gaming platform though. Sure, it has some games, but the selection isn't much better than Linux. Also, a hackintosh isn't going to have much better hardware support than Ubuntu. OS X is made to run on an Apple machine, and nothing else. I'm not saying it won't run, but the developers never intended it to. You would essentially be violating a license agreement to install an OS with an inferior software selection on unsupported hardware, which again is fine if it's just for the sake of playing around with it.

A new wifi card with perfect Linux support is ~$20 - 25 on Newegg. You can Google around or ask on here which AMD driver is currently the best for gaming. Assuming an OS is terrible because everything didn't work out of the box is just silly. Even Windows requires you to install drivers and extra software before it becomes useful.

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
I was going to come in here and offer assitance but you k now what - with that attitude go ahead; just go try installing OS X to tinker with, if your level of patience learning something NEW is this short I'm sure you'll have plenty of success there as well.

In reference to the bolded text above from your post:

Closed source driver quality reflects on the quality of the operating system and it's developers absolutely none. The reason the ATi drivers in Ubuntu's (as well as every other distro) suck the way they do is because ATi has failed to put forth the effort to develop a proper set of drivers. AMD shifted things in the right direction a bit but they still aren't well enough developed to be on par with your expectations; Valve putting out Steam for Linux is another step in the right direction and they are working with ATi and nVidia to fix these problems. Furthermore - you can't expect anyone to be able to help you with the level of detail in your original post. If you want additional assistance (Which I doubt you'll have the patience to execute) We'll need more information:

How did you install the ATi drivers - did you pull the insaller from ATi's website and install them that way (Like you would on Windows) or did you get the drivers properly packaged from your distributions repositories (I.E. Ubuntu's "Jockey" driver utility or via the software management utility") From there: what is the output of "fglrxinfo" in a terminal? What is the output of "glxinfo" in a terminal? Particular lines in these outputs will be useful in determining whether or not the drivers are even properly working.

On to your wireless, what wireless card specifically do you have? What is the output of "lsmod" in a terminal? The second command will allow us to tell what specific driver module is being run currently - which is really only useful in the case of a broadcom chip as they have two seperate drivers: One closed and one open source.

Anyways - if you are willing to LEARN something new - feel free to come around here we don't bite and we're happy to offer up advice and knowledge as well as troubleshoot alongside you. But if you come into Linux land expecting to automatically have everything be as easy as it was for you running Windows or Mac. You are seasoned and experienced on the use and configuration of your home operating system. Things are going to be alien to you here, its only natural.

I suspect your framerate issue is just a configuration problem. Probably nothing big, either. Luckily with Linux we have proper troubleshooting tools available to precisely pinpoint the source of a problem.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sorry for being a little sarcastic, but switching to OS X was not what I expected you to tell me.

I know the wireless and GPU drivers can be fixed, but Windows still have much more games than Linux, thus I will continue to use Windows at least for my main rig.

Once I get my CPU upgrade, I'll probably install Linux on this FX6100 again and give it another shot.

By the way, what kind of wireless adaptors work will with Ubuntu ? I have Rosewill wireless router and a encore wireless adaptor, both rated for 150Mb/s

·
3,545 Posts
From experience, This Wireless card works on every linux distro I tried out of the box. It's a bit slow, but it works great!
Quote:

Payed $16 for Ubuntu 13.04, downloading
thumb.gif
I hope you're being sarcastic again.
wackosmiley.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: TheLAWNOOB

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoder4ever View Post

I hope you're being sarcastic again.
wackosmiley.gif
doh.gif
Would you like to see my receipt? I just felt like donating $10 to help improve gaming performance, $1 for more hardware support, and tip the dudes who made it with $5
smile.gif

Edit: Lol, this adaptor thing is PCI, and has no price on it. $20 in Canada + $10 shipping + tax
thinking.gif
arrowheadsmiley.png

·
3,545 Posts
It's just the way you said it that made me wonder.....

but Donating is definitely an alright thing to do!
thumb.gif

and wow what a rip off! If you can find any wireless G adapters, those should probably work under linux, all the ones I have do.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoder4ever View Post

It's just the way you said it that made me wonder.....

but Donating is definitely an alright thing to do!
thumb.gif

and wow what a rip off! If you can find any wireless G adapters, those should probably work under linux, all the ones I have do.
It just have to be in G mode? all my adaptors are BGN, but I only run my router in n mode to prevent interference. If its on BGN then after a while speeds dips below 100KB/s. Right now with N only I can get 1MB/s.

·
3,545 Posts
Quote:

It just have to be in G mode? all my adaptors are BGN, but I only run my router in n mode to prevent interference. If its on BGN then after a while speeds dips below 100KB/s. Right now with N only I can get 1MB/s.
Perhaps, though once you get ubuntu installed, do all that Xaero requested.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts