Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hmmn....i'm confused..

have 2 X WD 40GB 2Mb IDE.....ALBATRON KX18D PRO II...supporting IDE/SATA RAID 0 & 1........
lookin at running em in RAID 0.....but then do i go out and buy a WD 80Gb SATA 7200rpm.

my quetion would be............what's the better option.........performance wise.

opinions most welcome or just call me stoopid......

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
2x 40GB in RAID 0 will perform on par with a single 80GB drive. The only thing that would make the 80GB better is if it had an 8mb cache. That helps a lot. But since you already have the 2-40GB drives, I would just Stripe'em in RAID 0. If you are looking for some serious performance gains, get a WD360GD or a WD740GD. The Raptors are amazing @ 10000 RPM's and 8mb Cache.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the WD 80Gb RAPTOR would be nice but here in OZ the would cost me more than can i spend........yes the 80Gb would be 8Mb.....is there any gain with SATA over IDE..or is it just it's a difference in data links

cheers

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xie67

yes the WD 80Gb RAPTOR would be nice but here in OZ the would cost me more than can i spend........yes the 80Gb would be 8Mb.....is there any gain with SATA over IDE..or is it just it's a difference in data links

cheers

The performance gain of SATA over IDE is minimal. The main advantage i'd say is the smaller cables.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

The performance gain of SATA over IDE is minimal. The main advantage i'd say is the smaller cables.

Raptors are not worth the money. I'd say stick with IDE, you could always get 2x40GB drives with 8MB cache and run RAID

• Rep+
Reactions: xie67 and xms

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

Raptors are not worth the money. I'd say stick with IDE, you could always get 2x40GB drives with 8MB cache and run RAID

yes they's alot o bucks that's for sure.........$260AUD gets me 2 X WD 80Gb 8 MB SATA 7200........so that seems the go.

have to wait 4 the pennies from heaven.....so the 'ol dungers stay for now.

thanx for the clarity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts