Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3HDD's and I don't know what one it is, but I know its not my disk drive because I open it up and it still continues clicking very loud.

Anyways the clicking only really seems to occur when I first boot up. I have had this for about 5months now and never worried about it but it seems like it might be getting louder. It sounds almost like an automatic rifle going off when my computer boots and then after its gotten into windows for about a minute it gently gets quieter.

Could this just be that my HDD is just having trouble cold booting? Is there a chance my drive is on its way to failure?

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Run HDtune and see what the S.M.A.R.T tab gives you.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
Well, you could try speedfan, I believe that has a smart tab as well.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1keith1
View Post

I can't I only had the trial version and its expired.

Crystal Disk Info or download a different version of HD Tune and it'll work.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
You can use WD Data Lifeguard Tools to see the status of your hard drives.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post
Crystal Disk Info or download a different version of HD Tune and it'll work.
Okay I downloaded it and the only HDD that shows up is my WD 750GB green.

How do i test it with smart or whatever?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
If a drive is clicking than theres a good 95% chance that it's on its way out the door... I would try to figure out what drive is causing it... shouldn't be to hard, just disconnect drives until the sound stops. Then backup the data on it.

The fact you have ignored this so long, and you still haven't lost or corrupted data is very lucky for you. Don't take it for granted anymore if you value the data on the drive. Considering you have Raid 0, if it is one of those drives you lose the entire 1TB of data if the drive goes out.

EDIT: The reason you can't check SMART is because you have Raid 0... you can't check SMART on a raid array. Clicking is bad, so you should assume the drive is bad and get it replaced ASAP.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Thats the sound of your HDD dying, you might want to make a backup of your data

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well since I remember it only clicking in the morning, being the first time it is started up in 8 hours and is cold; I went ahead and tried rebooting after my computer had been running for an hour.

So I went ahead and rebooted after my computer was warmed up, no clicking. I even powered it off, waited about 20 seconds and then powered it on; still no clicking.

This has lead me to believe that this is just my HDD clicking upon a cold boot. I think it is my WD hard drive which is my back up drive because it only started when I added the drive several months ago. Anyways I am not too worried as it has lasted 6 months with clicking already.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts