Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im using HD Tune Pro scanning for errors. So far it has 41 errors 50% done on a full scan. On quick scan it says 0 for the whole drive.

I was wondering if you could quarantine these sectors and still use the good sectors of the drive?

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,414 Posts
Yes you can. I had someone do it for me. He called it "disabling" the corrupted/damaged sectors. Now my old 500GB drive for my old desktop is a 380GB drive that works flawlessly, aside from the storage loss.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont care much for losing space because I can live with a few MBs trimmed off, even a few GB. It a 1TB drive that I just dont want to see go to waste because of a few bad sectors.

What program did you use? I keep googling and I hear about low level formatting? Can anyone shed some light on this

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
There's two methods. The easiest is to run chkdsk from a command prompt and telling it to do a thorough scan.

chkdsk /R e: (where e: is the drive letter)

It'll remap bad sectors that it comes across at the filesystem level. Because HDTune checks the drive surface, you will still see the bad sectors.

Apparently SpinRite can remap beneath that level, so that bad sectors go away. (Until new ones show up) Google it. It's pretty expensive, but many people say it's one of the most useful HDD tools out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts