Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The unit I'm buying gives me the choice of USB 3.0 and eSATA. I own neither cord type and I don't think the cords that come with it are long enough.... I think. I'm not entirely sure, I can't find any measurements for the cords it comes with. I've never once gotten a long enough cord for any external computer device I've ever bought. (scanners, printers, card readers, etc) So I thought this time I should think ahead and get a longer cord.
smile.gif

If anyone knows for certain how long the cords are that come with it are, that would help a bunch!

In the mean time, since I'm being given the choice, I thought I'd ask you guys which connection is the most trouble free? I've heard of weird quirks or connection procedures with eSATA (that I can't remember at the moment), and I've also heard of driver issues, strange compatibility issues, and other foul ups with USB 3.0 where it refuses to run at 3.0 speeds. So which one should I go with?

This is the device I'll be using. Nifty gadget, can't wait to try it.
smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064I1NRG/

·
Registered
226 Posts
do u want the most speed, or the most re assurance that you will be able to use the drive wherever u go with it??

usb ports are on every system.

esata is getting there, but older stuff not so much.

id go with esata simply because for me I move very large files on the reg.

wait... it says it supports both?? if the problem is just then cable then just buy a esata cable, says it comes with the 3.0 cable..

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read a customer complaining that the Vantec NexStar3 doesn't run at USB 3.0 speeds, even though it offers it on the back connection and says it on the box and the site. This is exactly what I was talking about. How often does this happen? Is it easy to solve and the customers complaining don't know what they're doing?

·
Registered
226 Posts
HAHAHA...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is really confusing. I'm seeing a pattern of customers complaining it only works at 2.0 speeds... but then I see some customers saying its working at 3.0 speeds with their computers. Is this just a pattern of stupid people... or driver issues... or maybe a bad batch?

You know what, I know what happend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post

The Amazon Q&A states that it comes with usb3 and eSata cables.
I know they come with cords. I saw them in another picture. It comes with a grey eSATA and a black USB 3.0, but they didn't look long enough. It needs to reach behind up and over to a glass shelf. I was thinking I'll probably try those cords, but was trying to think ahead and get a cord early on. Maybe it'll be a better idea to play around with the different connections and see which ones I like. I'm just worried I'm going to knock it it over or something, that's all. But now I'm more worried about the USB 2.0 speeds that I'm seeing a pattern of people complaining about.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
This one is similar to one liked above but will spin down when not in use. The one linked above will spin down when not in use only when connected via e-SATA.

• Rep+
Reactions: Drahadis

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

This one is similar to one liked above but will spin down when not in use. The one linked above will spin down when not in use only when connected via e-SATA.
I was looking at that one actually, but I thought it was basically the same thing with a fan as the only real difference. Then I read a few customers saying the air flow design doesn't work and the eSATA port is missing, so it sounded like a gimmick and a rip off at the expense of taking up more space (width of the unit). I think I remember one of the units I was looking at didn't spin down... I don't remember if I knew it was this one or another unit, it was a while back. I either thought it was a different unit or completely forgot. Thanks for catching that.
smile.gif

Is there an easy way to fix the air flow problem? Maybe changing the stock fan out for a slimmer fan or something? What exactly is causing the air not to flow through and exhaust out of the unit?

Has the missing eSATA port problem been solved? End of last year and beginning of this year people were getting units with no eSATA port. It turned out to be a problem with the factory making them in China. They were leaving out the port on the unit, but showing it in all the shopping website pictures, on the box, and on the Vantec site. I haven't seen anything about the problem being fixed yet though.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,062 Posts
USB 3.0 because it is self powered (I assume your eSATA is not powered on the drive OR the computer). Powered ESATA is hard to come by on both puter and drive. Most USB 3.0 ports can power a drive,

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

USB 3.0 because it is self powered (I assume your eSATA is not powered on the drive OR the computer). Powered ESATA is hard to come by on both puter and drive. Most USB 3.0 ports can power a drive,
What are the best USB 3.0 External 3.5 Drive Enclosures with good cooling solutions you guys know of that do not need their own power source? All the nice ones I've seen need a separate adapter.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post

Not on 3.5" HDDs. It comes with a wall wart PSU.

• Rep+

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,062 Posts

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahadis View Post

I was looking at that one actually, but I thought it was basically the same thing with a fan as the only real difference. Then I read a few customers saying the air flow design doesn't work and the eSATA port is missing, so it sounded like a gimmick and a rip off at the expense of taking up more space (width of the unit). I think I remember one of the units I was looking at didn't spin down... I don't remember if I knew it was this one or another unit, it was a while back. I either thought it was a different unit or completely forgot. Thanks for catching that.
smile.gif

Is there an easy way to fix the air flow problem? Maybe changing the stock fan out for a slimmer fan or something? What exactly is causing the air not to flow through and exhaust out of the unit?

Has the missing eSATA port problem been solved? End of last year and beginning of this year people were getting units with no eSATA port. It turned out to be a problem with the factory making them in China. They were leaving out the port on the unit, but showing it in all the shopping website pictures, on the box, and on the Vantec site. I haven't seen anything about the problem being fixed yet though.
The complaints for the missing port and inadequate air flow seemed to have been in a cluster and were due to Vantec's Chinese supplier using the wrong case. It appears the problem has been corrected because the latest reviews have been good. At least, Amazon does have a good return policy. I also cheeked the reviews on NewEgg and saw a similar pattern.

• Rep+

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

The complaints for the missing port and inadequate air flow seemed to have been in a cluster and were due to Vantec's Chinese supplier using the wrong case. It appears the problem has been corrected because the latest reviews have been good. At least, Amazon does have a good return policy. I also cheeked the reviews on NewEgg and saw a similar pattern.
Well that's good to know. One less thing to be concerned about.
smile.gif
What about the cooling issue? Know anything about that? Do you own one of these? I'm going to try and find a review that thoroughly inspects the cooling of this product.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahadis View Post

Well that's good to know. One less thing to be concerned about.
smile.gif
What about the cooling issue? Know anything about that? Do you own one of these? I'm going to try and find a review that thoroughly inspects the cooling of this product.
I don't actually own one (I use bare HDDs in hot swap bays in my computer). I only know what I read in reviews. As I said before, the cooling issue seemed to be limited to that one batch that had the wrong case.

• Rep+

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

I don't actually own one (I use bare HDDs in hot swap bays in my computer). I only know what I read in reviews. As I said before, the cooling issue seemed to be limited to that one batch that had the wrong case.
Sorry! I missed that part.
redface.gif
Sorry again, I'm really tired....

Sounds like that's the enclosure for one of the new SATA drives I'm picking up this weekend.
smile.gif
Unless someone knows of a better product for the same money or only a bit more, then I'm gonna go ahead and get one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Another thing it comes down to is the quality/speed of the usb3/esata controllers in both the enclosure and on the motherboard itself. Most early usb3 mobo solutions (non-phc) are typically not too great...my asmedia usb3 chip comes to mind...not a stellar performer.

• Rep+

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Not on 3.5" HDDs. It comes with a wall wart PSU.
True, I am thinking 2.5".

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx420 View Post

Another thing it comes down to is the quality/speed of the usb3/esata controllers in both the enclosure and on the motherboard itself. Most early usb3 mobo solutions (non-phc) are typically not too great...my asmedia usb3 chip comes to mind...not a stellar performer.
Then again I had less compatibility issues with my ASMEDIA controller than with the Intel chipset USB 3.0. I don't think the Asmedia was bad performance-wise, but I never tried it with a high speed SSD.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxx420 View Post

I'm not worried, this PC is using a ASUS Z87-PLUS LGA 1150 Intel Z87. Every review I found for it loved the board, and everyone recommended it.
smile.gif
Sounds like its going to come down to the controller on the enclosure then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.