Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A small store that I support has no backups for their computers!

Here is the situation:
They have three old Dell Inspirons. Each has a 1TB HDD.

I purchased a Synology DS218j NAS to run as an onsite backup for files/documents. The drives will run in RAID (mirror):
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ..._re=diskstation_ds218j-_-22-108-688-_-Product

Questions:
If I add a 1TB drive to each computer to run in RAID as a mirror (Windows 10), is the WD Blue 1TB drive ok or do you recommend something else?

What 2TB drives do you recommend I use in the NAS?

BTW, I also setup Cloud backup now. :)

TIA

·
Senior OCN Member
39,843 Posts
Seagate Ironwolf drives as they have a lower RMA and failure rate then WD drives

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I assume the Ironwolf are for the NAS? What Seagate would you recommend for the computers themselves?

Thanks again!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,843 Posts
The Ironwolf series are meant for NAS use while the Barracuda series are meant for desktop use and the Skyhawk series are meant for surveillance
You can use any of the 3 series for any of the 3 tasks if you want to but a drive meant for NAS is going to run better in a NAS system

Note that both the Ironwolf and the Barracuda series has two versions a normal version and a Pro version
The Pro version has 5 years of warranty vs 2 or 3 years and also comes with 2 years of free data recovery service and you can buy more years for $5 per year extra

1 - 4 of 4 Posts