Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new build with two 5.25" bays in the front of of the case. I'm deciding to go CD less and want to get one of each of the following:

I. 5.25" hotswap adapter so I can swap out 3.5" spinning disk drives (preferably trayless?)

II. 5.25" hotswap adapter so I can out out 2 or more 2.5" SSD disks (also preferably trayless)

I do not need SAS support - just plug and play SATA. I'd like something that doesnt brake the bank but has as much metal as possible.

I suppose I do also want something possibly with a fan - the only issue is that I built this computer to be virtually silent so I dont want something real noisy. I can add a small fan above the 5.25" drives if the ones that come with fans turn out to be loud.

Edit: Just realized my case has toolless 5.25" bays so it has to suppport that as well

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well with 5.25" for 3.5" HDDs you will be hard pressed to find one 100% plastic free. Pretty much any vendor I used had some plastic features.

Generally IcyDock offerings are of very high quality. Hit there, they have tray-less 3.5" hot swap and with 2.5" even better, Tough Armor series (not tray less but all metal) which is built like freaking Panzer tank. I simply love it, they build to order models with more than 8 bays but I think it's only for wholesale customers. Still Icy Dock backplanes are very nice.

You shouldn't run into problems with tool-less mounting system. Overwhelming majority of them are removable and you can then easily screw everything together. If you have rare non-removable version then still it shouldn't be a problem. Tool-less mounting is troublesome for short devices like card readers or USB hubs, etc. With full size devices like OD or RAID backplanes I've never ever encountered a problem (but then there is like 5 million cases on the market
wink.gif
).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts