Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.

I was wondering wether or not it is normal for HDDs to make noise (although very low), even though they're idle?
Mine makes this low, humming noise in a loop, and it lasts for about a second, shuts up for a second, and then another second with noise. This goes on continously. My disk has never crashed or anytihing like that, and it has served me well for at least 6 months now. The sad part is that i cannot remember to have heard this sound up until about two weeks ago... So if you guys could answer wether or not it is dangerous, and if i should RMA it, that'd be great!
biggrin.gif

Answers highly appreciated :S

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi. I think that this might be the Thermal recalibration feature of your HDD. Get a program like Everest to check the SMART status of your drive,but tiny sounds like that could be perfectly normal... A good program to disable it (if that is the case) is TweakUI

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answer! Yep, I always thought this perhaps was some sound they made so they would stay "active" and function, and that makes sense now that you mentioned that.

If anyone has other suggestions or ideas, please post
smile.gif

Edit:
I have also scanned my HDD for any malware, and it showed that there was no virus or spyware present.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts