Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
The RAW values are what you should look at... when they say Zero, it means Zero. The Current Numbers are a normalized number used for threshold comparison.

When Looking at the Current Numbers... compare them to the Threshold numbers... as long as the Current Numbers are larger than the Threshhold Numbers, they are usually within the acceptable limits..

Your drive looks fine for now.

The RAW numbers (when not Zero) that would indicate issues are:

Realloacted Sector Count = INVISIBLE bad sectors that have been swapped with reserve sectors. These sectors are Hidden and cannot cause problems.

Current Pending Sector = bad sectors are not usable but are still visible to the operating system. These are indicative of severe problems! If these numbers go up, it can indicate imminent drive failure[/I]

UDMA CRC Error Count = cabling errors; if this is higher than 1000, something is wrong; under 100 is nothing to worry about. CRC errors indicate bad data transmissions, usually due to cable issues.

Your Reallocated Sectors count means you have had 4 bad sectors... which is minimal.
If the number stays constant after several boots, then it isn't a problem. If it increases consistently then you should replace the drive as it is failing.

Even a new drive will sometimes have bad sectors, and these are usually set in the drives firmware to be ignored... You can also lock those sectors out using some Hard Drive utilities, to ensure the system doesn't try to use them.

Basically Crystal Disk Mark is letting you know there are a few bad sectors, and one Pending...(which is the only one I would be concerned about.. but only if it increases)

I hope that is not too confusing.... lol!

Some good info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

·
Windows Wrangler
2,288 Posts
Of course you have everything that's important on that HDD backed up, right? I'd say its SMART status is a little iffy. So far it hasn't reported any read errors (Read Error Rate), which is good, indicating that currently, all your data is retrievable.

I say make a backup of the stuff you couldn't afford to lose, and keep an eye on the SMART values.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

Of course you have everything that's important on that HDD backed up, right? I'd say its SMART status is a little iffy. So far it hasn't reported any read errors (Read Error Rate), which is good, indicating that currently, all your data is retrievable.

I say make a backup of the stuff you couldn't afford to lose, and keep an eye on the SMART values.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.