Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my new computer , for some weird reason the hard drive stops like literally ( the hdd light stops blinking and i just hear no noise from the hdd what so ever) and everything freezes until the hdd starts working again , this has been happening like very randomly at times and i want to know if anyone here knows how i can stop this ,,, ( already checked the power to the hdd , thats all good )

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blandino123 View Post
just got my new computer , for some weird reason the hard drive stops like literally ( the hdd light stops blinking and i just hear no noise from the hdd what so ever) and everything freezes until the hdd starts working again , this has been happening like very randomly at times and i want to know if anyone here knows how i can stop this ,,, ( already checked the power to the hdd , thats all good )
check in the power options to make sure that turn off harddrive is set to never.

if its alwready set to never then the harddrive is probbaly messed up

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
check in the power options to make sure that turn off harddrive is set to never.

if its alwready set to never then the harddrive is probbaly messed up
just shut it off and changed the sata port i t was on , seems to be working fine now , windows picked it up right away and installed the drivers , hopefully that was it

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
There's an edit post button for a reason.

What you're describing sounds like I/O flatlines. (no data being read or written for ~30 seconds)

One of my old Seagates had that. It would kick in whenever the drive got really busy - such as when loading new maps. The result? ~2 minute loadtimes.

I RMA'd it soon after. It's an early warning sign for failure, so copy your stuff off and get RMA approval.

(I assume you've triple checked all the power settings that spin down HDDs.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts