Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if my dell moniotir has a hdmi port, does that mean i can run an hdmi cable from the monitor to the mobo and have it work?

or do monitors still require the dvi?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilraver018
View Post

If your motherboard has a hdmi output and the monitor has hdmi input then yes. However i would try both dvi and hdmi. For my monitor i found that dvi gave me more consistent picture quality than hdmi.

This.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by allikat
View Post

HDMI is frame rate limited, DVI is not. For a monitor, DVI is better.

Every day's a school day... limited to what fps?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by makecoldplayhistory
View Post

Every day's a school day... limited to what fps?

Depends on the TV's video processor. My Samsung 42inch lcd limits my frames when running 1080p via HDMI, very noticeable when moving your mouse cursor around.

Enabling your TV's game mode can alleviate this at the cost of some picture quality, although it just makes your pc games look something akin to xbox 360 graphics. Seeing as i only use my 42inch when playing games with my xbox controller for pc, i dont mind too much.

• Rep+
Reactions: makecoldplayhistory

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so if you have a vid card with only dvi ports like most people do, hdmi inputs on monitors doesnt really do much

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryder
View Post

ok, so if you have a vid card with only dvi ports like most people do, hdmi inputs on monitors doesnt really do much

just stick with dvi yeah. hdmi is useful for watching movies on larger screens via one of my laptops because it covers the audio too meaning less plugs, but thats about it

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
HDMI 1.4 isn't so limited, you'll be fine if you have a TV with that spec, my TV handles what ever FPS my GPU dishes out (seen as high as 183 on bfbc2).

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
From what I can gather, I don't think HDMI is frame rate limited. The TV might be limiting your frame rate but that's the way that TV is set up, not HDMI in general. If connected to a PC monitor it should perform the same as DVI unless that monitor specifically has some factory settings or hardware limiting the frame rate of the HDMI port.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts