Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I like an HDR monitor from Samsung that also has freesync so I want to ask do I must have AMD card to benefit from HDR or nVidia cards work too ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm pretty sure the HDR works with an Nvidia card as well, but you won't be able to use the adaptive sync feature.

In this video the reviewer says HDR works with Nvidia cards:
https://youtu.be/zxpGkymDTIw?t=734

Take into mind that this HDR on this monitor is not high quality HDR. It can only produce up to 600 nits of brightness and only has 8 dimming zones. That being said, the most recently announced HDR monitors can produce more than 1000 nits and have about 400+ dimming zones.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks coalscence. what are the other monitor that has higher HDR ? and does they use VA panel ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
These are the Asus PG35VQ, PG27VQ and the Acer predator x27. However, they're not released yet and they're reported to be very expensive, at 1500$ minimum.
The HDR era is too early for now in my opinion, only about 10 games support HDR and Microsoft's HDR feature in windows 10 is also pretty bad.
For movies and video/photo editing it might be ideal.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coalscence

if you please tell the site that has information about number of nits for monitors.

·
Some Guy
714 Posts
Check out Samsung C27HG70. It has 1440p, HDR, 144Hz and Freesync.
Incase you didn't know, you need an AMD GPU for Freesync to work. (Since you asked if HDR was brand exclusive, which it is not.)

HDR in Windows 10 will probably be improved in the new upcoming "Fall Creators Update" which arrives in 2-3 weeks.
But, please remember HDR won't be very good unless you use an OLED TV or a proper HDR TV with 300+ FALD zones, since there aren't any monitors which does it properly yet. (and probably won't until OLED monitors arrive.)
HDR will help image quality, but not as much as on a 1400$ 4K HDR TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts