Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Its time for an upgrade. Right now I am using a juke cell phone because at the time, I figured I would just get a cheap cell phone, and I didn't feel like paying for anything overly expensive. Now as I have a new job, and everyone around me is using black berries, and data phones I think its time for me to get one. Money really isn't an issue as my office will pay for my cell phone bill. I am looking for a new phone to get. It doesn't have to be data phone, but I would like a phone that is easy to text on, and has a lot of features and good batterey power. Right now I have my heart set on the palm pixi, as I am a fan of the candy bar style. I dont really care for touch screens at all. Again the phone doest have to be a smart phone, but I am really looking to get the best phone to fit my needs,and if I can save money that is all the better. any suggestions on good verizon phones please let me know! I am going this weekend to purchase a phone.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Well my mom just got the motorola devour, android phone, and I have to say, WOW. What a great product. Awesome screen, easy to use, and great features. It's also built like a tank. I love it and want to get one, i think you should take a look at it.

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Motorola Droid + DroidMod 1.0 + 1.0-1.2ghz OC = beast of a phone that is better than anything else listed in this thread

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GH0 View Post
HTC Supersonic > Droid with an overclocked ARM processor.
Snapdragon CPU is an ARM A8 based CPU, so it's not much better than the CPU in the Droid (which is a basic ARM A8). And at 1.2ghz, my Droid can actually beat a Snapdragon based phone without issues. Don't forget that the Droid also has a physical keyboard which to me is enough of a reason to get the Droid over the other phones

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
definatly you should wait until the Google Nexus One is released for Verizon (the release date is Spring 2010). Its an amazing phone and is the best android phone on the market.

·
Registered
156 Posts
On Verizon right now, I would get the Droid or the Palm Pre Plus. Both run the same chipset, both can be overclocked, and both have a keyboard; you just have to choose whether you prefer WebOS or Android. I would go the android route since i love messing with phones (i have an omnia with a custom winmo 6.5 beta rom).

• Rep+
Reactions: Coldharbour

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpcmelee
View Post

On Verizon right now, I would get the Droid or the Palm Pre Plus. Both run the same chipset, both can be overclocked, and both have a keyboard; you just have to choose whether you prefer WebOS or Android. I would go the android route since i love messing with phones (i have an omnia with a custom winmo 6.5 beta rom).

Don't forget that the Pro and Pre Plus have been known to have rather poor build quality, and the WebOS is lacking in App support. Don't get me wrong, the Pre/Pre Plus could have been a really good phone but it was let down by the fact that Palm is pretty much broke, and that the hardware was let down by bad software and the software was let down by bad hardware.

It's a shame, Palm used to make REALLY good phones

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
motorolla droid, I have used them and they are sick.

• Rep+

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by reberto
View Post

Don't forget that the Pro and Pre Plus have been known to have rather poor build quality, and the WebOS is lacking in App support. Don't get me wrong, the Pre/Pre Plus could have been a really good phone but it was let down by the fact that Palm is pretty much broke, and that the hardware was let down by bad software and the software was let down by bad hardware.

It's a shame, Palm used to make REALLY good phones

The build quality issues are almost nonexistant in the Verizon versions. The Oreo flex was only in the Sprint version, as far as I have heard. Also, it has some really good homebrew support, but yeah I agree, the Droid is a better phone. Also consider the Touch Pro 2, as you can install Android to that and dual boot it with WinMO and Android.

• Rep+

·
Banned
5,890 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carpcmelee
View Post

The build quality issues are almost nonexistant in the Verizon versions. The Oreo flex was only in the Sprint version, as far as I have heard. Also, it has some really good homebrew support, but yeah I agree, the Droid is a better phone. Also consider the Touch Pro 2, as you can install Android to that and dual boot it with WinMO and Android.

Build quality has still not quite been addressed
http://www.google.com/search?q=palm+...ient=firefox-a

And for the price of a TP2 you might as well get a regular Android based phone IMO

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay guys it settled I just got back from the store, and I ended up getting the palm pixi. The android was just to big and bulky I love the pixi and I plan on making a dedicated thread to it on here hopefully in a few weeks. Thanks for all the helps guys!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts