Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last headphone thread conundrum, I have noticed a few distinct options which I will paste below:

ATH-AD700
ATH-A700
Sennheiser HD555
pc-350
Steelseries Siberia V2

I would now like to ask overclock of the most recommended pair out of all of these, or possibly about an option that is not listed here.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The AD700s and a clip on mic will be your best bet. They are light and comfortable, have an excellent soundstage, and are moderately priced. They also do well for most music. With that said, they are open, so you will get sound leakage and outside intrusion. Plus they are not designed for heavy bass. They do produce good, and IMO accurate bass, just not as heavy as most like it when listening to Hip-Hop or Rock.
The A700s are almost the same but closed and will give you a little more bass, but not much. Down side is that you will sweat in them and the earpads arent as soft.
Oh, and I had a blown driver in mine and AT replaced both NC even though I have modded them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericld
View Post

The AD700s and a clip on mic will be your best bet. They are light and comfortable, have an excellent soundstage, and are moderately priced. They also do well for most music. With that said, they are open, so you will get sound leakage and outside intrusion. Plus they are not designed for heavy bass. They do produce good, and IMO accurate bass, just not as heavy as most like it when listening to Hip-Hop or Rock.
The A700s are almost the same but closed and will give you a little more bass, but not much. Down side is that you will sweat in them and the earpads arent as soft.
Oh, and I had a blown driver in mine and AT replaced both NC even though I have modded them.

They are definitely one of my top options, I would definitely get them instead of the A700's because I got tired of not being able to hear my own voice, and constantly raised it as a result.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi
View Post

budget? How are you going to sue the headphone?

up to 150-160 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
how you going to use the headphones? If it includes music, music tastes?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi
View Post

how you going to use the headphones? If it includes music, music tastes?

sorry, my reply timed out: mostly for gaming and music (dubstep, experimental, alternative, electronic)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If your budget is 150-160, i would recommend

these these
. They actually outperform those that you listed above. And don't believe those who tell you the HD555s are the same as the 595s, because the magnets in the 595 are at a different angle, allowing for greater efficiency at that impedance.

Furthermore, i have found the ATs to not be a flat sound, something that headphones in this range should have, rather the others youve listed(aside from the 555s) tend to have a boosted bass which, when powered by an amp offer some strange frequency spikes, simply because the output frequency is not being matched every time.

Therefore, if i were you i would go for those and a clip-on mic, the zalman should work fine.

Hope this details your decision.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
The AD700's are the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn..for gaming and day to day use, they win out easily, and I mean..easily. Just get them, and pick up a secondary set of cheaper cans like JVC HARX700 for bass heavy music if you don't like the AD700's for that. You'll still be under budget and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get the Fatal1ty headphones from creative.. Have been given excellent reviews against some very high end headphones. Excellent price too. For what you listed I have had the Steelseries Siberia V2's and they were an excellent set.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtoblerone
View Post

Well, if you haven't used the other ones how can you use it as comparison, esp when A700s are in that list.

Actually, I already used A700's, they broke and were no longer eligible for replacement.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by D4V3_1987
View Post

Get the Fatal1ty headphones from creative.. Have been given excellent reviews against some very high end headphones. Excellent price too. For what you listed I have had the Steelseries Siberia V2's and they were an excellent set.

Did you have any personal experiences with it?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love my current ATH-AD700. Sounded great before I burned them in but now they sound amazing for their price. Their sound stage is awesome too and great in games like CSS or any fps. Zalman mic has been working perfectly for me, everyone says they hear me loud and clear in game and in vent. So personally I would recommend the AD700's and if I had to make the choice again for headphones I would definitely pick these again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleep
View Post

I love my current ATH-AD700. Sounded great before I burned them in but now they sound amazing for their price. Their sound stage is awesome too and great in games like CSS or any fps. Zalman mic has been working perfectly for me, everyone says they hear me loud and clear in game and in vent. So personally I would recommend the AD700's and if I had to make the choice again for headphones I would definitely pick these again.

please elaborate the meaning "burned them in"

·
Registered
386 Posts
Played pink noise for about 15 hours at a volume slightly above listening volume to get the headphone drivers to their optimum. Burning in is disputed but I definitely noticed a difference in the sound of the head phones after. As in overall they were much more clear and refined and basically enhanced the sound significantly in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
HD 595's. Blow the HD 555's out of the water. I noticed the difference right away. I've got a pair of the new Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's on order, can't wait to try them out.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleep
View Post

Played pink noise for about 15 hours at a volume slightly above listening volume to get the headphone drivers to their optimum. Burning in is disputed but I definitely noticed a difference in the sound of the head phones after. As in overall they were much more clear and refined and basically enhanced the sound significantly in my opinion.

Agreed. burning in a good pair of cans is a must. There was a MAJOR difference with my HD 595's and the pair of HD 650's I used to own. Yes I'm a Sennheiser nut, it's all I use.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts