Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old crappy afterglow agu1.s headphones(i bought them only because i needed wireless headphones asap, i don't need wireless headphones anymore) started to literally fall apart to the point where i had to tape them together to be able to wear them, so i now have to get new headphones.

the first choice was some ad 700x, but then i thought about various problems i have

1:i have glasses, and they are thick but slim glasses(the frame that contacts the ears is basically the same shape of japanase chopsticks) and this can give problems after just an hour of having headphones like the afterglow on.
2:i use headphones for almost half of the time that i'm awake(so around 6-10 hours per day) this makes my ears sweat a lot with my old headphones, to the point that my room literally smells of ears.
3: i have a huge head, like, 2xl for old russian standards(russian because i'm basing it off a gasmask i have)

that said, i need a headphones with good audio for fps games such as rainbow six and bf4, but that are also decent with jazz,blues and rock/prog rock music(so lows, mids and mid highs?), all of this while aiding to those 3 problems(priority in the order i mentioned them)

budget is between 80-150€(shipping comprised- i live in italy)

do headphones like what i mentioned exist?

also i might be asking for way too much here, but i'm tired of using earphones when i listen to music outside, so interchangeable audio jacks(lenghts 1 and 3 meters) would be also great, but i doubt good headphones use those(let me know)

·
ACK!
440 Posts
I also have glasses and a big head, and I also had issues finding comfortable headphones. For shorter sessions I just use IEMs, but if you're really listening all day maybe consider the Sennheiser HD series. I don't know what model will fit in your budget with shipping, but I've found they are generally light for full sized headphones, don't clamp too hard, the velour earpads let your ears breath a bit, and the pads play nice with my glasses. They can still get a bit uncomfortable but I have yet to find anything better.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
I just purchased a set of Audio technic ATH900X's for similar reasons to yours (tape on headphones) I too wear glasses for gaming and these head phones are great, the ear cups are large enough to fit around my average sized ears and because they use a pair of head pads to hold them in place instead of a clamping action on your ears they do not put as much force around your ears.

I have worn them for several hours with no issues like ear pain or heat, here is a link to the review of them (kind of) they are a bit pricey, I bought mine second hand from a fellow member here at OCN

Audio technic ATH900X headphones

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrip541 View Post

I also have glasses and a big head, and I also had issues finding comfortable headphones. For shorter sessions I just use IEMs, but if you're really listening all day maybe consider the Sennheiser HD series. I don't know what model will fit in your budget with shipping, but I've found they are generally light for full sized headphones, don't clamp too hard, the velour earpads let your ears breath a bit, and the pads play nice with my glasses. They can still get a bit uncomfortable but I have yet to find anything better.
following your advice, the 598 and 558 seem the best choices regarding prices, but i don't know much about them...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the 598 and really enjoy them. I think they would suit the needs you describe having. They should be on par with the quality of AD900X, DT-880 250 Ohm, and Q701/K701. They are similarly priced open headphones, but I haven't tried any of them. I would go for whichever can be found for the lowest price, personally, but I think that would still be the 598 in your case.

The 558 lack some of the refinement and openness of the 598 but offer a punchier, less airy low end, according to others. People have devised modifications for the 558 to sound closer to the signature of the 598. I sense the 598 are worth the extra cost to you given that you will be using them a lot.

Look for the HD 598 Special Edition. They're all black instead of beige/brown and come with a shorter 3.5mm cable that can be swapped with the ridiculously long standard 6.35 mm cable, if you can find them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see, but all those "on-par" models are way over my price range, the special ed as well, and even the standard 598 may be too much for my current budget(i'll know around the end of the month)

in case they are effectively over budget, is there some more economic alternative(100~€) that is mostly equal to the 598 at comfort level, and is at least better than the afterglow agu.1s ?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcrabmeat View Post

I have the 598 and really enjoy them. I think they would suit the needs you describe having. They should be on par with the quality of AD900X, DT-880 250 Ohm, and Q701/K701. They are similarly priced open headphones, but I haven't tried any of them. I would go for whichever can be found for the lowest price, personally, but I think that would still be the 598 in your case.

The 558 lack some of the refinement and openness of the 598 but offer a punchier, less airy low end, according to others. People have devised modifications for the 558 to sound closer to the signature of the 598. I sense the 598 are worth the extra cost to you given that you will be using them a lot.

Look for the HD 598 Special Edition. They're all black instead of beige/brown and come with a shorter 3.5mm cable that can be swapped with the ridiculously long standard 6.35 mm cable, if you can find them.
+1

I have one too and I really love them. I bought them primarily for gaming due to their wide soundstage. Comfort wise, I game with glasses as well and these are the most comfortable headphones and I don't find the glasses causing any discomfort after hours. I never had the feeling of "relief" every time taking them off after hours of music listening, gaming or movies like some I have tried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so would then 558 be a good substitute comfort-wise for the 598 or the 598 are the only choice i have? because for as much as i want them, if maybe i can't get the money, i can't get the money, there's no getting around that, and i want an in extremis option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've read a few reviews about the 558 stating that it sounds almost the same as 598. Plus, I've seen some people did some mod to make the 558 to sound like the 598. I do think 558 is a good choice if you're tight on budget. But your best bet would be go a store and try every each of them out before purchasing just in case you do not like the sound signature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trying out the headphones in a store won't help much though, as i'd need to have them on for a couple hours to know if they hurt otr not, that's my main concern heree and the reason why i wanted to get the 598, but possibly can't because of price(they're exactly on the edge of my possible budget, which may get lower when i want to buy them, the budget i mean)

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
I could recommend DT 990's Pros

i wear glasses when i am in front of my pc and the 990's are very comfortable

the ear cups are a bit small though for me, but i definitely recommend them

·
Registered
30 Posts
Audio technica are hard to beat for people with big heads. I've tried them all and only ath ad700 and 900s worked for me. Wing design and really comfortable ear pads are a huge win. Can even get replacement ear pads if you prefer different material or size etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts