Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Plan on installing a 3rd GPU on my ASUS X99-AII mobo in the recommended 4th PCIe slot (see attached)

Using for GPU rendering, don't need SLI!

So here is my issue. You can see from the picture that there are 3 mobo connectors that will be covered by the 3rd GPU once installed.

1- HD audio
2- USB 3.0 connector
4- USB 2.0 connector

I've located a right angle USB3.0 connector over on moddiy.

But I still anticipate this as well as the USB 2.0 and HD audio connectors coming into contact with the bottom of the GPU (a GTX 1080 FE).

By 'bottom' I mean the side closest to the mobo.

I know this card gets quite hot during full load.
Should I worry about the heat and cable contact?

To play it safe should I just go without any USB, audio functionality?

·
Dogs! They're good!
869 Posts
The heat generated on the shroud of a GPU will not be high enough to cause damage to those wires or connectors.

The highest temperature you'd see on the outside of the shroud on that card is around 65°C, and the parts close to those wires would max out around 50°C which is well below the melting point of the wire insulation used in computers.

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=21803&admin=0a8fcaad6b03da6a6895d1ada2e171002a287bc1

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadBull View Post

The heat generated on the shroud of a GPU will not be high enough to cause damage to those wires or connectors.

The highest temperature you'd see on the outside of the shroud on that card is around 65°C, and the parts close to those wires would max out around 50°C which is well below the melting point of the wire insulation used in computers.
index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=21803&admin=0a8fcaad6b03da6a6895d1ada2e171002a287bc1
Oh right, I thought he was concerned about losing access to the ports. Yeah heat is not going to be an issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP
Thanks
Yep, worried about losing access to the ports as well:(

The only 'must have ' connection is the power switch.
I suppose I could carefully bend the 2 pin connector on the mobo to 90 degrees if necessary.

Have no idea why ASUS would design a mobo this way...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts