Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
the cooler may not be seated correctly, and how much of the as5 did u use on the chip???

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone136

Sounds like it not seated right to me. I would remove it and try again

Yeah, even with too much AS5 the temps wouldn't be that high.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Are you sure you remounted the heatsink on there with all the screws tight? if so, try to reapply again

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Did you squeeze the whole tube onto the GPU or something??!! Geeze, you REALLY did something wrong. Did you even clean off the old thermal paste? Did you even spread the AS5 around the GPU die?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandapimp

Before my 7800 gtx (with a nv silencer after market cooler) was getting 46 idle. Then I decided to apply some AS5 to it and now my idle is 90C!! Any ideas?

if you remove the original plaste came with the cooler and reapply AS5, then you will have problem.

i don't think your core is touching that HS anymore... there should be a gap on it when you remove the thick plaste and replace with a thin layer of AS5.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
You probably used to much AS5. I had this same problem, and I got simliar temps the first time I got AS5 (more is not better). All you are trying to do is fill the tiny groves in the heatsink. Just a layer thin enough that you cant see through will be good. If you look at the specs it will say a really small thinkness (like .003 inches) for the best thermal conductivity. Use to much, and you are accually insulating your chip.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know how to apply AS5. On the bottom of the 7800 GTX you know how there are 4 memory things? Theres nothing on top of mine, its just open(on the stock hs it was covered by a V- shaped thing). Could that be something? kool I did take off the original paste and put AS5. Im thinking since I did that the hs isnt touching the gpu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts