Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently testing out my new DFI Ultra-D. Same basic setup as before. I flashed to the latest BIOS and learned my way around the BIOS. My problem is this... the darn thing makes my San Diego run hot, very hot! I'm using the same cooling setup as before and using the same OC settings as with my EPOX (HTT, voltage, divider, etc). My OC is stable, but my CPU is now loading at 56*C
. With the same voltage of 1.65V on the vcore my San Diego used to run at 45*C under heavy load (on my old EPOX). With the same voltage on the DFI it now runs a full 10*C hotter. I already reseated the heatsink with a fresh application of AS5, I even switched with my old XP-120 and still the same. At stock voltages it loads at 40*C (it used to run at 36*C load even after the fact that the EPOX overvolted the chip by .1V). Any ideas? I really like this board (I'm able to OC to 3.0GHz!!!), but I will go back to the EPOX if I can't resolve this.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Check your BIOS temp... if it's accurate, it will reflect about 80% of the full load temp.
Otherwise it seems you may have an inaccurately reported temp!

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BIOS reports about the same temp. as the smart guardian thingy that comes with the board at idle (38*C in BIOS, 38*C in Windows in idle conditions). Maybe if I get one of them temp. sensors an attach it to the CPU? Where could I get one of those?

Edit: Smart Guardian reports 45*C for the chipset. It feels like more heat is comming out of the chipset area than where the CPU is. The heatsink isn't even warm.

Edit2: I noticed that the temp. reading in Smart Guardian for the CPU "shifts" very frequently. It may read 51*C then 48*C less than a second later, only to go up to 52*C and back down to 47*C. Is that normal? Because I have never seen readings change that quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
It could be a faulty Super I/O chip or the sensor has no air flow over it and being overheated. Some DFI boards, the SLi-DR Expert in particular are notorious for bad temp reporting.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
if your bios is showing 38c and smartguardian is showing 38c idle, this shows me it's a problem with your program. Use other monitoring software like everest and speedfan. your bios temp should never be the same as your desktop Idle.
If your bios shows 38c, that's normal, that usually reflects a load around 46-50c.

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

if your bios is showing 38c and smartguardian is showing 38c idle, this shows me it's a problem with your program. Use other monitoring software like everest and speedfan. your bios temp should never be the same as your desktop Idle.
If your bios shows 38c, that's normal, that usually reflects a load around 46-50c.

Everest reports the same as Smart Guardian. I'm running Prime now and both Everest and Smart Guardian report 46*C-50*C with a vcore of 1.55V, much lower than what I used with my EPOX yet the temperature is about 10*C higher.

Edit: SpeedFan shows 50*C

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Bios will load your chip to 60-80% and should always show a warmer temp than desktop idle. It sounds like a faulty sensor reporting wrong temps if everything else reads the same.

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

so your temps are correct now? The same as they were with the other board ?

I'm running Prime with the same settings as I had with my EPOX board (except vcore, it is actually .1V lower) and all the monitoring programs I have report the CPU at 50*C. I used to get no more than 45*C with higher vcore (1.67V) on the other board.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What is the bios your using and not the date.
If you are using a 7xx bios, watch it. You have to run the 702 bigtoe one or you might fry it.
Any 7xx bios is fine but you have to below the 113% special vid or it will cause the voltage to be to high.

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcraw5100

What is the bios your using and not the date.
If you are using a 7xx bios, watch it. You have to run the 702 bigtoe one or you might fry it.
Any 7xx bios is fine but you have to below the 113% special vid or it will cause the voltage to be to high.

Yes, I'm running a 7xx BIOS but I have the specialvid to auto. However, the board was reading similar temps. even on the stock BIOS (I flashed to see if that would fix it).

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar

Yes, I'm running a 7xx BIOS but I have the specialvid to auto. However, the board was reading similar temps. even on the stock BIOS (I flashed to see if that would fix it).

A couple of things to look at.

1. Given your Modules are TCCD - use 623-3 in the Orange Slots, the BigToe BIOS is better suited to BH/UTT modules and high Vdimm.

2. Reseat your HSF on the CPU, sparingly use AS5 or eqivalent

3. Check the Fan Settings in BIOS and set Max Temp to be 30C for fans to come on at full speed.

4. Have an additional fan blow air on the PWMIC - top RH side of the MB - see FAQ for picture. Also the Sensor is located at the Bottom LH side of the MB next to the PCI slot... airflow across this will also help.

5. Use MBM5 for Temp readings plus other system Info - see FAQ for example and DFI nF4 base file

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ncsa

A couple of things to look at.

1. Given your Modules are TCCD - use 623-3 in the Orange Slots, the BigToe BIOS is better suited to BH/UTT modules and high Vdimm.

2. Reseat your HSF on the CPU, sparingly use AS5 or eqivalent

3. Check the Fan Settings in BIOS and set Max Temp to be 30C for fans to come on at full speed.

4. Have an additional fan blow air on the PWMIC - top RH side of the MB - see FAQ for picture. Also the Sensor is located at the Bottom LH side of the MB next to the PCI slot... airflow across this will also help.

5. Use MBM5 for Temp readings plus other system Info - see FAQ for example and DFI nF4 base file

1. I'm using the orange slots. I will flash the BIOS latter tonight and see if that helps.
2. I already reseated the HSF several times so I don't think that is the issue.
3. I always run my fans at full speed.
4. Temp. around the PWMIC is 40*C under load which seems reasonable. I have a 8cm fan blowing at the PCI area.
5. I'm using speedfan, everest, and smartguardian. I will set up MBM5 latter.

·
Premium Member
8,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed MBM5 with the NF4 base files on DFI Street. It reads the same temps. as the other programs. Will try the other stuff later... need to sleep.

Edit: MBM5 simply rocks. The best monitoring software I have seen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts