Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k my bios say on idle my CPU is like 57C! not overclocked!

in motherboard monitor it says its 45C

and in speefan it says its 25C

serious whats the deal? how do i actually monitor my temp the right way

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
this might help?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke

this might help?

i think your procesor temp in here might be the 39oc one.....25oc sounds a little low for your Prescott (unless you live somewhere very cold).

You should try and keep it below 55oc when under load.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

i think your procesor temp in here might be the 39oc one.....25oc sounds a little low for your Prescott (unless you live somewhere very cold).

You should try and keep it below 55oc when under load.

i just updated my BIOS to the latest and it seems now the bios say its running about 3C lower than the other BIOS did.... hmmm... well motherboard monitor says the CPU is at 45C idle and case at 25C. that seems normal? ill tryplaying a game for a hour or so and see what it says the temp is at then

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

i just updated my BIOS to the latest and it seems now the bios say its running about 3C lower than the other BIOS did.... hmmm... well motherboard monitor says the CPU is at 45C idle and case at 25C. that seems normal? ill tryplaying a game for a hour or so and see what it says the temp is at then

Yeah, sometimes motherboard manufacturers release patches in new bioses to help detect the temperature more accuratly.

Let me know what your load temps are, but if you are thinking about overclocking, you will definately need to invest in a better heatsink to get those temps down a bit.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Yeah, sometimes motherboard manufacturers release patches in new bioses to help detect the temperature more accuratly.

Let me know what your load temps are, but if you are thinking about overclocking, you will definately need to invest in a better heatsink to get those temps down a bit.

ok...i know these r high but heres what i get.... 45-49C idle and after playing 5 minutes of farcry on max graphics it skyrockets to 65C!!! i have XP-120 HSFAN. i dont get it i was told that was good by someone on here. they told me to get it and i would be able to overclock! now the only option is water cooling? thats expensive... so i wasted my money on this XP-120? i have all fans turned up they running at 2000+ RPMS

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

ok...i know these r high but heres what i get.... 45-49C idle and after playing 5 minutes of farcry on max graphics it skyrockets to 65C!!! i have XP-120 HSFAN. i dont get it i was told that was good by someone on here. they told me to get it and i would be able to overclock! now the only option is water cooling? thats expensive... so i wasted my money on this XP-120? i have all fans turned up they running at 2000+ RPMS

No way should it be going that high with that heatsink - its one of the best out at the moment.

Did you use thermal compound on the heatsink when you installed it?

Also double check that it is installed correctly, and when your temperature is up in the 60's have a feel of the base of the heatsink to see if its hot at all.

Also, check your vcore in your bios/software and let me know what it says.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

No way should it be going that high with that heatsink - its one of the best out at the moment.

Did you use thermal compound on the heatsink when you installed it?

Also double check that it is installed correctly, and when your temperature is up in the 60's have a feel of the base of the heatsink to see if its hot at all.

Also, check your vcore in your bios/software and let me know what it says.

200x15 i think and vcore of 1.375 thats what its on thats what the bois came with... i used thermal paste... maybe it wasnt "good" thermal paste? the thermal paste came in a thing that game with my 3d card fan...it said thermal paste so i used on my card and CPU... is that wrong or what? if so what thermal paste should i buy?

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

200x15 i think and vcore of 1.375 thats what its on thats what the bois came with... i used thermal paste... maybe it wasnt "good" thermal paste? the thermal paste came in a thing that game with my 3d card fan...it said thermal paste so i used on my card and CPU... is that wrong or what? if so what thermal paste should i buy?

ok ill describe this the best i can make sure the fans r facing right directions and stuff (first comp ive made) k theres a fan near the heatstink the blows air OUT from the case. then theres a fan that is on top of the heat sink that blow air INTO the heatsink right?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

Best stuff you can get is Arctic Silver 5. Did you put a thick layer of the compound on? If so you only need a really thin layer (less than the thickness of a piece of paper).

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

ok ill describe this the best i can make sure the fans r facing right directions and stuff (first comp ive made) k theres a fan near the heatstink the blows air OUT from the case. then theres a fan that is on top of the heat sink that blow air INTO the heatsink right?

Yep that sounds fine.

The problem can opnly really be down to the heatsink being incorrectly seated, or too much thermal paste used.

Or sometimes you get the odd faulty chip that runs really hot.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

yes, your fans are facing the right way. although, you didn't put on good paste. the stuff that came w/ the gpu is bird poop... order Arctic Silver 5 from newegg.com, it's the best stuff. this will drop your temps a large amount... get some new thermal paste! everythign else seems like it's good...

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

yes, your fans are facing the right way. although, you didn't put on good paste. the stuff that came w/ the gpu is bird poop... order Arctic Silver 5 from newegg.com, it's the best stuff. this will drop your temps a large amount... get some new thermal paste! everythign else seems like it's good...

ok i just ordered some from newegg, it says it drops idle temps by 10C and load by 5C by the reviews... that will get me to like 60C on load maybe more.... this isnt even overclocked... i still dont get why its running so high...

i am in a basement and its cold down here, it should run colder than normal?

i bought this 3.6ghz hoping to get it to 4ghz but how can i OC 400mhz when i can barely maybe not even run the 3.6ghz with a custom fan? how could someone run this with the stock... any other ways to cool this

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

ok i just ordered some from newegg, it says it drops idle temps by 10C and load by 5C by the reviews... that will get me to like 60C on load maybe more.... this isnt even overclocked... i still dont get why its running so high...

i am in a basement and its cold down here, it should run colder than normal?

i bought this 3.6ghz hoping to get it to 4ghz but how can i OC 400mhz when i can barely maybe not even run the 3.6ghz with a custom fan? how could someone run this with the stock... any other ways to cool this

Well, if you have put loads of your current cthermal compound ont he CPU this could be raising your temps substantially. You might find that a corretly applied layer of AS5 will lower your temps by 20oc.

Failing that, i'd hazard a guess that your CPU is dodgy.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Well, if you have put loads of your current cthermal compound ont he CPU this could be raising your temps substantially. You might find that a corretly applied layer of AS5 will lower your temps by 20oc.

Failing that, i'd hazard a guess that your CPU is dodgy.

so your saying if this compound doesnt work...call intel or whatnot and get it replaced?

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

so your saying if this compound doesnt work...call intel or whatnot and get it replaced?

Yep.

You have a top heatsink (p.s what fan u got on it?), you will have top thermal paste, and its all fitted correctly and running at the right voltage.

So if its still in the 50-60oc range, i would call intel and try to get it replaced.

I had the same thing a few years back with an AMD chip. It was running far too hot - too it back to the shop and exchanged it for another one , my temps dropped by 15oc.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Xms is correct in his diagnosis. this is the best place to start.
Rember: a very thin layer of artic silver. the problem isnt the heat sink. Its the placement or the incorrect amount and wrong kind of thermal paste. Other than that a bad chip or mobo. I know it can be frusterating when things dont go right. Be patient and go through the trial and error process.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not sure the name of the fan but they run at like 2300 RPMS and someone on here told me there one of the best and i got 2 of them

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Quote:

not sure the name of the fan but they run at like 2300 RPMS and someone on here told me there one of the best and i got 2 of them

Fair enough....I trust the opinions of the others on here, so whatever they told you to get, it must be a fairly good one.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by xms

Fair enough....I trust the opinions of the others on here, so whatever they told you to get, it must be a fairly good one.

well i ordered the normal shipping for the damn compound so thats liek 3 days i think.... sigh no serious up-to-date gaming for me for awhile....... didnt wanna pay 25$ for S&H for a little tube!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts