Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my GTX285 in the beginning of August, tested it on air and then swapped it out for the Heatkiller block. Ran flawlessly at stock and OC'd speeds until this morning. Was playing L4D2 last night (Hard Rain expert, woo) and then shut it down. Went to power it up this morning and received a "no video output" message on the monitor. POST beep was as normal, no error codes. Just couldn't see anything on the monitor.

Stressed and stressed all day, on the phone with EVGA assuming that my card had given up the ghost. It was registered with the lifetime warranty and I set up an RMA, but now I've cancelled it. Had a brainwave and put the stock cooler back on, and it booted up first try.

I had tried re-seating the card/block combination in the PCI-E slot numerous times without any luck. So, my question is this

For those of you who look for the tl;dr version:

What could cause a block to suddenly cause a "no video out" or shorting issue, without being touched? I'd like to reinstall the block (it's still part of the loop, just without a GPU attached) and keep going, but I'm not sure what's causing it to short out. All washers are properly installed and have been since day one. I re-built the loop a few times, most recently on Thanksgiving weekend, and it booted up fine after that.

Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
give it another shot, put something like tape on the parts of the block that aren't directly involved with the actual contact of the GPU or vMEM, also ensure the thermalpast is contacting the GPU IHS and the vMEM well and have thermal pads on all parts that need then

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I've double checked the thermal tape and it's making full contact on all the memory chips and voltage regulators on the card. The thermal paste is still good, haven't removed the block from the card since it was installed 4 months ago. Until today, that is.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strangest thing is that I can see it shorting out if it's a brand new installation of a block on a card, meaning something's not right with the installation or I received the wrong materials or something. But after 4 months of flawless operation it suddenly stops functioning? It's not like it was overheating. Temps were very good.

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's dead. Card gave up the ghost today while under stock cooling. Advanced RMA is underway with EVGA.

I need a

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by afzsom
View Post

It's dead. Card gave up the ghost today while under stock cooling. Advanced RMA is underway with EVGA.

I need a

·
Premium Member
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts