Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, after changing my cooler to a Baram and whacking some delta's on it, ive noticed my Nforce temperatures have been hitting over 90 degrees during gaming and idle at about 70-75 degrees!

Ive been getting pretty worried and tried to find a solution, but with no luck, So far ive strapped an old 40mm fan to the nForce area but its not done anything for the temps really.

Can anyone point me to a guide on reseating/reTIMing a motherboard?

A very unfortunate guy did the same thing and tore a chunk of his chipset off! I dont want to follow in his footsteps and rip something off that shouldnt come off!

Also, would it be a wise move to get aftermarket NB/Chipset/MOSFET cooling? The baram does take up a lot of room thought!

Thanks, Donk

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Usually adding a 40mm fan will help out a lot of the temperature. As it does not in your case, I think you diagnosis that the stock TIM needs to be replaced is good.

What temperature were you getting before?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
your northbridge started heating up after you put a new cpu cooler on ?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before, it was aroud 50 idle and 65 ish load. My old cooler had a fan on it which had no frame around it, so it blew down onto the chipset and kept it fairly cool, it was an 80CFM fan, my new fans are 38mm delta's with a frame so they only blow in the direction the blades point.

Normally id jump straight in and do it, but this guy has my exact motherboard and same problem and tried to reseat and took his NB off! So im really weary now, Id like to see it being done successfully with pictures before i try it!

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post

OP, is your new cooler utilize pass-through hardware for mounting? Did the mounting warp your board a little? If so, perhaps that bowing interfered with the contact of the NB heatsink....

*guessing*

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
Yeah the old fan was frameless so it cooled everything around the cpu, not just the heatsink, these fans have frames.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post

OP, is your new cooler utilize pass-through hardware for mounting? Did the mounting warp your board a little? If so, perhaps that bowing interfered with the contact of the NB heatsink....

*guessing*
Thats a good point, ill have to take off the motherboard to check if its warped in any parts. It uses a bolt through kit, I had to remove the stock AMD backplate to attach it. Maybe Ill bodge that back on to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts